Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,417 users have contributed to 42,298 threads and 255,072 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 55 new user(s).

• VSL alternative to Abbey Road Two Strings Pro

HI, I really like the sound and feel of ARTSP and of course the signature 'Rigby' sound. I own Dimension and Synchron-ized strings which are great but in a different way. Is there a VSL library I may have overlooked that is on par with that vintage sound? I'd rather buy a VSL library as I've read a number of complaints about the SF audio engine where as VSL is generally rock solid.

Would be grateful for any pointers.

Thanks

MD

• I've not used ARTSP but you might want to have a look at Elite Strings. It's got presets that'll give a kind of 50s/60s sounds and the divisi possibilities (especially if you get the Full Library as it has a second solo player) are great for that. The only downside, for me, is that, as with all of the Synchron (as opposed to Synchron-ised) libraries, the big hall sound is baked-in. However, if you use the solo and mid mics you can get it drier which allows you to place it in smaller environments. I'm using it in combination with SY Dimension Strings. Dim. Str. are my favourite-sounding library, but the articulations are a bit limited, whereas Elite Strings have far more options in that respect.

Hope that helps a bit!

Nick

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • @nick-halliwell said:

I've not used ARTSP but you might want to have a look at Elite Strings. It's got presets that'll give a kind of 50s/60s sounds and the divisi possibilities (especially if you get the Full Library as it has a second solo player) are great for that. The only downside, for me, is that, as with all of the Synchron (as opposed to Synchron-ised) libraries, the big hall sound is baked-in. However, if you use the solo and mid mics you can get it drier which allows you to place it in smaller environments. I'm using it in combination with SY Dimension Strings. Dim. Str. are my favourite-sounding library, but the articulations are a bit limited, whereas Elite Strings have far more options in that respect.

Hope that helps a bit!

Nick

Hi Nick,

Many thanks, will have a listen to the demos. The issue will be the baked in ambience but will investigate.

Cheers,

MD

• @MacDude said:
    @nick-halliwell said:

I've not used ARTSP but you might want to have a look at Elite Strings. It's got presets that'll give a kind of 50s/60s sounds and the divisi possibilities (especially if you get the Full Library as it has a second solo player) are great for that. The only downside, for me, is that, as with all of the Synchron (as opposed to Synchron-ised) libraries, the big hall sound is baked-in. However, if you use the solo and mid mics you can get it drier which allows you to place it in smaller environments. I'm using it in combination with SY Dimension Strings. Dim. Str. are my favourite-sounding library, but the articulations are a bit limited, whereas Elite Strings have far more options in that respect.

Hope that helps a bit!

Nick

Hi Nick,

Many thanks, will have a listen to the demos. The issue will be the baked in ambience but will investigate.

Cheers,

MD

I've got the ES Full library so I've got a preset which is both Solo players plus a bit of the Mid mic (an adaptation of the Divisi preset) and that's fairly dry. If you're using it with MIR turn all the Dry Signal Handling parameters off. Otherwise if you use the closer mics in general it works well alongside Dim Str. Personally if there were a midway library between the two (i.e. Dim. Str. but with all the articulations of ES) I'd rarely use anything else.

N

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.