Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,847 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,934 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Duality VelXF+Vel Control - Missing Notes on Vel-controlled switchover

last edited
    last edited

This is consistent and very annoying. It looks to me like it's a VSL bug. But just in case anyone has encountered it and can tell me a way of preventing it, I'm posting this before raising a ticket.

It's conditional - only appearing in a freshly instantiated Synchron Player and only in Duality's "VelXF + Velocity control" dimension linkages that have not yet been played since Synchron Player's instantiation. After its first manifestation in any of these vel-controlled dimension linkages, the bug disappears in that dimension linkage. But if then the Synchron Player is deleted and then re-instantiated in the DAW track, the bug reoccurs in each vel-controlled linkage, same as before.

Here's an example:-

Fresh instantiation of Synchron Player in a Logic instrument track, setup as follows:–

• Synchron Duality Strings | 01 Regular | 03 velXF + Velocity control | 01 1st Violins - Vel/XF.
    • The MIDI track plays 127 3/8th notes, all separated by 1/8th rests, at 67.5 BPM.
    • Each successive note's velocity is incremented by 1.
    • Midway between each note, CC1 is incremented by 1, such that velocity and CC1 values are the same for each successive note.
    • Selected:– Long Notes | Poco Vib | Normal r. (One of Soft/Normal/Fast/Sfz attack is selected by Velocity).

On first play through, 4 notes do not sound, corresponding to note velocities 1, 45, 85, and 115. (1st picture below). On the second playthrough, all 127 notes are sounded (2nd picture below).

I'm using Synchron Player 1.3.1263; Logic 10.8.1; Ventura 13.6.6; 2017 iMac i7 7700k 65GB.

• last edited
    last edited

[EDIT]

1. I forgot to say:– in the example, all 127 notes were C4.
    2. And to be more precise (for the sake of best possible reproducibility and to avoid wasting VSL's time), each new value of CC1 was positively fixed a 1/16th (right on the tick) before the next Note On. However, I suspect a first quick-and-dirty look might do just as well - simply by fixing CC1=1 just before the 1st note and CC1=127 just before the last note, and trusting Logic's interpolation.

Apologies.

• Hello Macker!

I guess you are working with disabled slots, right? That would explain the behavior. If you enable the "Normal r." slot or any slot in a dimension above before starting the playback, all notes should be audible at the first playback. You can learn more about enabled/disabled slots here:
    https://www.vsl.info/en/manuals/synchron-player/dimension-tree-view#enable-disable-slots

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

Andi,

thank you! Yes it appears the Sy Player is in that mode, which does indeed account for that behaviour.

Dumb of me not to have recognised this particular engine mode; but then again, I've never ever used this mode. And more significantly, I certainly hadn't positively selected this or any other engine mode prior to or during these tests. I haven't even opened the Sy Player Engine Settings for ages! And I thought in passing that perhaps the latest Sy Player had introduced this "slot colour off until used" thing as a new default. (Note to self: - don't skimp on sleep, Macker, you're now too old for that nonsense!)

This anomalous functioning began after a flurry of me rolling back and forwards between various Sy Player versions before trying to install and use the latest version (looking for changes in CPU load, among other things). First I tried to use VA to switch versions but it just kept hanging at the point during installation where it normally requests permission to launch the Helper. Bah! So then I used Time Machine to hop between various Sy Player versions I wanted to test - sometimes binning a version before restoring a different version, other times just trusting that Time Machine would restore everything appropriately (including all relevant .plist files) as I hopped backwards and forwards between versions.

It seems to me now that something I didn't expect happened during that flurry of version-hopping.

Here's a screenshot of Engine settings in the latest Sy Player. One thing I'm sure has changed is the "Use Light Convolution" is now Off - whereas I've always had that switched On; but I can't remember exactly what my other default engine settings were. Is this the "disabled slots" engine mode? What are the factory-set defaults for Engine settings?

• last edited
    last edited

Long story short, I'm now deeply distrustful of both VA and Time Machine, and so I plan to revert to using my reliable old friend Carbon Copy Cloner for all backups, moving and 'time-travelling' duties.

• Hello Macker!

The presets for our bigger libraries are disabled by default.
    Here you can see the default settings for the Synchron Player Engine menu.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

Got it! I'm now sorted.

Many thanks for your patience and spot-on help, Andi. Much appreciated!