Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,910 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,946 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Bruce Broughton - Young Sherlock Holmes - The Riddle Solved

last edited
    last edited

Hello forum,

Here is my performance of Bruce Broughton’s “The Riddle’s Solved” cue from the 1985 movie “Young Sherlock Holmes” produced by Steven Spielberg.

Young Sherlock Holmes - mp3

Young Sherlock Holmes - Cubase project

In an alternate universe where John Williams grew up to become a carpenter instead of a composer, I'm sure Bruce Broughton would have scored a lot more films and become a lot more famous. 😄 Nevertheless, this score was nominated for a Grammy Award.

The music is youthful, celebratory and exuberant with very colorful orchestration. I love the fact that Broughton featured so many different woodwinds, giving each prominent little solos. I used both the Synchron (piccolo & English horn) & SYNCHRON-ized woodwinds (flute, oboe & clarinet) for these solo moments.

Originally, I used just the Synchron Strings Pro and Elite Strings for the strings, but after the release of the Duality Strings, I went back and layered in the Duality Strings during a number of the melodic sections.

For the mix I went for a bit of that drier, more up front, sound stage quality. What do you think of this type of sound that was popular in the 1980's?

VSL Libraries used:

Synchron Woodwinds
    Synchron Brass
    Synchron Percussion
    Synchron Harp
    Synchron Strings Pro
    Synchron Strings Elite
    Synchron Duality Strings

SYNCHRON-ized Woodwinds
    SYNCHRON-ized Dimension Brass (mutes)
    SYNCHRON-ized Solo Strings

All questions and comments are welcome.