Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,858 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,940 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• New to VEPro - Any advantage to using VEPro if I'm NOT switching between projects, and am on 1 machine?

People have been talking about VEPro since the fall of the Roman Empire, and I'm thinking of making the jump. But I've got one hesitation.

THE SITUATION:

1. I've invested tons of time into building a large template in Logic Pro (without VEPro). But it takes forever to load the template so this is is a no-go.

2. I could use Logic's "dynamic plug-in loading" where no samples are loaded until I click on a track. This is an improvement, except, when I'm in the "heat of composing", the constant start and stop to wait for samples to load kills the vibe. Also, when the project gets large enough, once again, the project takes forever to load.

WHERE I THINK VEPro COMES IN:

I'm under the impression that VEPro can keep samples loaded permanently.

WHAT I'M HESITATING ABOUT:

I'm taking a tutorial on Groove3 about VEPro, and I'm seeing that the advantage of VEPro is that when you're switching between projects (like switching film scoring cues), the samples stay loaded in VEPro. Excellent. However, I get the impression that when I first open VEPro at the start of my day, the samples still must be loaded up the first time. I'm not in film scoring, and have no need to switch projects. In my case, isn't having VEPro functionally the same as having the samples load within Logic?

THE MAIN QUESTION:

I basically want samples to stay permanently loaded in VEPro so that every time I open my Logic template (or projects using the template) I don't have to wait for samples to load. But I also want to be able to turn off my computer when I'm going to bed. Do I need to have VEPro open permananently and never turn off my computer to achieve my goal?

• I’m not aware of any RAM-based sampler that retains data when it is powered off.

A healthy load of Synchron and VI instruments can easily run into terabytes of material. Load time is the price we pay.

I don’t want to mislead you. Mileage varies, but VEP can load and unload a lot of sounds within a reasonable time. Given a combination of Logic’s dynamic loading, a well-thought and pre-built template, and a VEP’s speed, you can load and unload patches with a minimum of “momentum loss.”

Logic’s dynamic loading works quite nicely when you re-open a file in progress. Everything needed for payback loads with the song.

Such is my own template, which is replete with Synchron. Synchron-ized and VI instruments. If suddenly I need a clarinet, I’ll click on the Logic track, and it’s more or less ready in a few seconds. And that’s essentially all Synchron clarinets, for example 1,2, a3, Bass, and Eb. How much of that instance loads actual samples is further dependent on VEP settings.

I can get chopped playback, but that’s my own halting external drive and not your problem.

Obviously, loading something like Duality Strings first violins will take longer. The combination of a VEP instance launch via Logic’s dynamic load and VEP’s MIDI activity setting (loading only what sample needs to be played) is as close to immediate as the real world can get.

Reading your overall post, it sounds like you’ve got a good handle on what Logic and VEP can do… but when we choose to turn off the computer, we will always start power-up from scratch.

If VEP can be had as a demo, then all is gained and nothing lost if you load your own computer and test it out. I’m not sure what the policy is.

• @plowman Well, I really appreciate the thought and detail of this answer. While I was on the fence, and about to tip over into not using VEP, your post has pushed me the other way, and I've decided to give this a shot.

While I don't own any VSL instruments (though I've been eyeing Duality for a while), even if load times are faster for the instruments that take a long time to load in Logic (OT's SINE), that's definitely worth something.

I'll update this post if I have any new insights that might help people in my situation. Thanks again, plowman.

• @177043, that’s great. I hope you do post again. There are certainly other Logic users here, but I must say I’ve read of other DAWs that handle orchestral matters more elegantly — especially when it comes to articulation switching.

To wit, with Logic and Synchron’s Duality Strings, the library is so extended, articulations can require up to five data points (usually keyswitches). Logic can only send three. A third party software (like XDaw) is helpful to accommodate a five-switch Art ID.

Alternately, you can design your own array in Synchron to favor the “usual suspects” or thin out the possibilities, reducing the needed Art IDs to a Logic-friendly three keyswitch set-up.

Lastly, there are completely free samples here to try if you’re still uncertain.