Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,940 users have contributed to 42,331 threads and 255,210 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 41 new user(s).

• CPU Performance Spike

I've noticed that each of my (5) VEP instances are now idling around 20-25%. This happens when all channels are disabled or even if I delete the channels and run blank instances. If I enable any channels, the CPU load adds on to the existing 20-25%.

I'm in DP and running my session at 48k, 256 buffer, 1 buffer per VEP instance. These are the same settings I've been using for months and which typically idles around 3-5% per instance when disabled/empty.

I can't figure out why this would have bumped up 20% all of a sudden when I haven't changed any settings. I've tried trashing prefs, reinstalling VEP, creating new blank test projects—nothing is working. What am I missing?

Mac Studio (M2) | macOS Ventura 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | VE Pro 7.3.3610 | Digital Performer 11.3
  • Hi,

Sounds strange.

Did you already try to roll back to a previous version of VEPro (in the Archive of your Vienna Assistant)?
    Which plug-ins are you using in VE Pro? Did anything change there? VE Pro is "only" the host, so the loaded plug-ins produce the load.

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks Paul,

I tried several versions all the way back to 7.3.3335 and got the same result.

To test I also I created a fresh macOS user account to eliminate any peripheral apps, prefs, etc. I created a fresh server project with five completely empty instances and connected to a blank DP project with only 5 instrument tracks—each hosting the MAS plugin (the AU plugin also gave the same results). I also tried in Cubase—similar there too.

I've been using Kontakt, Omnisphere, Sine, and only integrated VSL plugins for effects. But since this is still happening without any plugins or channels, I'm thinking something else is causing this.

I had been on 7.3.3610 without issue and hadn't updated any plugins, DP or macOS recently. The one thing that has changed recently is that I started working on a project that unfortunately requires 96k. So now I'm bouncing back and forth between 96 and 48.

A sample rate change definitely affects the CPU load across all instances, but even so, the idle CPU at 48k is 20-25% and 30-35% at 96k. I thought maybe this meant this was an audio interface issue, but I tested further using only the Mac Studio's internal sound card and yet the problem still persists.

Maybe there is something going on with CoreAudio and changing sample rates? I'm at a loss.

Mac Studio (M2) | macOS Ventura 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | VE Pro 7.3.3610 | Digital Performer 11.3