Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,043 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,975 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• VST3 Note names

Hello,

just a quick question - does the Synchron player send note names to the host?

• What exactly do you mean by that?

• last edited
    last edited
    @LGeist110 said:

What exactly do you mean by that?

Pitch Names may be the correct term

https://steinbergmedia.github.io/vst3_dev_portal/pages/What+is+the+VST+3+SDK/Plug-in+Examples.html#pitchnames

I'm wondering whether the Synchron player is utilizing this for the percussion libraries and key switches on the other libraries.

• I've never used "drum kit programmes" because I have a damn good drummer friend who has a Masters in Jazz & Pop. He plays drums for me.

• last edited
    last edited
    @LGeist110 said:

I've never used "drum kit programmes" because I have a damn good drummer friend who has a Masters in Jazz & Pop. He plays drums for me.

That's great, but I'm not talking about drum kits.

what I'm talking about, if I understand how this works correctly, is when the Synchron player communicates this information with the DAW and the DAW has the functionality built in to receive it, then key switches should show up in the piano roll as well, which would mean that it could show where the switch for changing to, for example, the staccato patch of the currently loaded Synchron Strings Pro right there where you're programming the MIDI notation.

So what I'm asking anyone who might know is whether the Synchron Player is transmitting this information according to the VST3 standard or not (or if I got it all backwards) 🙂

• Now I finally understand what you meant! I don't know of any sampler/library that does that, except in conjunction with Komplete Kontrol from Native Instruments. This software, which is a plug-in host and can be used with DAWs, can display keyswitches on its keyboards (physical and digital), as well as the range. However, the corresponding libraries and samplers must be verified for this, or the developers must pay for a licence.

• @LGeist110 said:

Now I finally understand what you meant! I don't know of any sampler/library that does that, except in conjunction with Komplete Kontrol from Native Instruments. This software, which is a plug-in host and can be used with DAWs, can display keyswitches on its keyboards (physical and digital), as well as the range. However, the corresponding libraries and samplers must be verified for this, or the developers must pay for a licence.

But they do not show up on the piano roll of Cubase.

• last edited
    last edited

The thing is, it appears to be a standard some rare plugins are following for VST2, and the DAW I use (FL Studio) has been using that for a while as well, but it seems only few plugins are making use of it.

A while ago, PreSonus announced they'd been working with VSL to develop (or just to become part of) a new standard for this. It's called the Sound Variation API https://presonussoftware.com/en_US/blog/sound-variation-api-now-availble which is really interesting and is apparently working with Studio One (which I don't like working with), but not supported by most other DAWs (yet 🤞) as far as I know.

In the FL Studio forum it was recently announced that with one of the coming new versions they're implementing support for VST3 Note Names, so I was hoping that the Synchron Player might already do that, but probably not.

• Cubase doesn't support this, but as you said Studio One does something similar with sound variations, here is an example

• Cubase does support Sound Variations in that it can auto-create an expression map with them, but even though this works with some libraries that use Sound Variations like EW Opus, I think it doesn't work with the Synchron Player for some reason.

It doesn't really matter too much as the MIDI 2.0 Orchestral Articulation Profiles under development will basically replace this Sound Variations.

• @mducharme said:

Cubase does support Sound Variations in that it can auto-create an expression map with them, but even though this works with some libraries that use Sound Variations like EW Opus, I think it doesn't work with the Synchron Player for some reason.

It doesn't really matter too much as the MIDI 2.0 Orchestral Articulation Profiles under development will basically replace this Sound Variations.

I didn't know that about MIDI 2.0, that's very interesting