Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,910 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,946 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Which library still available is the oldest from VSL?

I don't know why I want to know, but I have this question on my mind: which VSL library is the oldest still available? I've been told that the orchestral samples from the Kontakt Factory Library are the old ones, dating back to the era before Vienna Instruments. Is that true? If so, these must be the oldest VSL samples on the market. But whatever the answer is, which library is the oldest still offered by VSL themselves?

• I want to say it probably is the VI Series and within that series the special editions.

• last edited
    last edited

This was the so-called First Edition for GigaSampler, back in 2003, which came with the iconic "Performance Set" that introduced the famed legato samples:

-> https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/vsl-orchestral-cube-performance-set

The sample data-base was later re-worked and formed the basis for Vienna Instruments.

... this is the very first demo from back then, painstakingly assembled manually by Herb (because the final mappings were not yet available), mixed by Yours Truly:

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • @Frankenstein said:

I want to say it probably is the VI Series and within that series the special editions.

As someone who always buys the full libraries, I always thought the Special Editions were slimmed-down compilations of the samples of the "real" products (which in itself is absolutely nothing bad).

• last edited
    last edited
    @Dietz said:

This was the so-called First Edition for GigaSampler, back in 2003, which came with the iconic "Performance Set" that introduced the famed legato samples:

-> https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/vsl-orchestral-cube-performance-set

The sample data-base was later re-worked and formed the basis for Vienna Instruments.

... this is the very first demo from back then, painstakingly assembled manually by Herb (because the final mappings were not yet available), mixed by Yours Truly:

Do you mean "re-worked" as in "reused" and "extended"?

In my search for the oldest products, I've looked through a few manuals because there's a copyright date and year, but I haven't been able to find any from before 2012. Have I not looked hard enough, or have all the Libraries, Vienna Instruments (Pro) and/or their manuals been updated in that period? The fact that I'm even asking this question shows that I haven't had anything to do with sample libraries for too long. For me, it all started in 2015.

Nice demo by the way!

• @LGeist110 said:

Same raw recordings, re-edited, re-mapped, re-organised, extended - then reused. 😉

The quoted SOS-article from 2003 lists the content of the First Edition release in detail.

Of course the manuals have been updated several times, in the meantime.

It's worth mentioning that the actual recordings for this library began in 2000 (IIRC) already, even earlier for the (unreleased) proof-of-concept instruments.

@LGeist110 said:
    Nice demo by the way!

Thanks! It still gives me goosebumps myself, even today. 😉

Trivia: We already used convolution reverb for this mix, although derived from one of those hilariously expensive hardware-based engines back then.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • @Dietz said:
    @LGeist110 said:

Same raw recordings, re-edited, re-mapped, re-organised, extended - then reused. 😉

The quoted SOS-article from 2003 lists the content of the First Edition release in detail.

Of course the manuals have been updated several times, in the meantime.

It's worth mentioning that the actual recordings for this library began in 2000 (IIRC) already, even earlier for the (unreleased) proof-of-concept instruments.

@LGeist110 said:
    Nice demo by the way!

Thanks! It still gives me goosebumps myself, even today. 😉

Trivia: We already used convolution reverb for this mix, although derived from one of those hilariously expensive hardware-based engines back then.

Of course, I realise how much better sampling and scripting has become and a demo from back then can't compete (as much) with today's, but still, this old one is damn impressive for the time, especially when you consider how painful it must have been.

But now I want one of those old hardware folding reverbs, just for the sake of it! They probably still cost a fortune second-hand, because they're nostalgic and no longer in production and all that...

Thanks for the info anyway!

• last edited
    last edited

No way, you sampled such nerdy things as gun shots back then! I own parts of VI Percussion, especially the rare instruments, so of course I have the shots too. So I own some of the oldest samples of yours! How cool!