Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,922 users have contributed to 42,193 threads and 254,632 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

  • Solved with 14.4.1: do not update yet to MacOS Sonoma to 14.4. on M2 Macs with Logic Pro X 10.8.1 as Synchron Players won't work inside Logic

    last edited
    last edited

    Hello all,

    just a friendly warning for Logic 10.8.1 users on a Mac M2 machine. Yesterday I updated MacOS to 14.4. and all Synchron Players stopped working as an Audio Unit Plug-In inside Logic, also in Rosetta Mode. They are still working inside Vienna Ensemble Pro Server.

    All software updates from VSL have been installed.

    On my Intel I5 Macbook running 14.4. there are no problems.

    Did someone else encountered difficulties in that matter also? I´ll inform the support team as well.

    Greetings from Munich

    My system:

    MacStudio M2 Max, 32 GB Ram, macOS Sonoma 14.4.

    Logic Pro X 10.8.1


  • As far as we know this is a Apple Sonoma and AudioUnit-only plugin on M2 and M3 devices. M1 CPUs seem not to be affected.

    Apple is aware of this issue and is planning to fix it in an upcoming release. We do not know the schedule for this release.

    In case you are running an M2/M3 CPU the best thing is not to upgrade to MacOS 14.4 until the fix gets reelased by Apple.
    Also, running the DAW in Rosetta mode seems not to trigger this issue.

    Best, Ben


    Ben@VSL | IT & Product Specialist
  • BenB Ben pinned this topic on
  • I can confirm that my M1 doesn’t seem to be affected by this.


    Just a beginner
  • @Ben said:

    As far as we know this is a Apple Sonoma and AudioUnit-only plugin on M2 and M3 devices. M1 CPUs seem not to be affected.


    Apple is aware of this issue and is planning to fix it in an upcoming release. We do not know the schedule for this release.


    In case you are running an M2/M3 CPU the best thing is not to upgrade to MacOS 14.4 until the fix gets reelased by Apple.
    Also, running the DAW in Rosetta mode seems not to trigger this issue.


    Best, Ben

    Yep, I upgraded before I saw this as I was just setting my brand new M2 Studio. What a drag. Rosetta seems to make everything glitchy. I feel like running back to my i9 iMac. Hmph. Come on Apple, let's go!


  • Oops too late ! Logic Pro X is completely broken on M2 Studio running Sonoma (you'd think Apple wouldn't release an update that would break their own software ((but they did)) . I did a fresh (HD wiped load) of Logic Pro X 10.8.1 (which is 3 months old btw) without any plugins installed except for Apple Logic Pro X . Logic Pro X will not load any VSL plugins Synchron or otherwise fortunately Dorico still works fine . The work around is to make a bootable system and go back to Ventura or if you were smart enough (not me) to have a Time Machine backup of Ventura .

    @ChrisMuc2023 said:

    Hello all,


    just a friendly warning for Logic 10.8.1 users on a Mac M2 machine. Yesterday I updated MacOS to 14.4. and all Synchron Players stopped working as an Audio Unit Plug-In inside Logic, also in Rosetta Mode. They are still working inside Vienna Ensemble Pro Server.


    All software updates from VSL have been installed.


    On my Intel I5 Macbook running 14.4. there are no problems.


    Did someone else encountered difficulties in that matter also? I´ll inform the support team as well.


    Greetings from Munich



    My system:


    MacStudio M2 Max, 32 GB Ram, macOS Sonoma 14.4.


    Logic Pro X 10.8.1





    @Stu-Daddy said:
    @ChrisMuc2023 said:

    Hello all,




    just a friendly warning for Logic 10.8.1 users on a Mac M2 machine. Yesterday I updated MacOS to 14.4. and all Synchron Players stopped working as an Audio Unit Plug-In inside Logic, also in Rosetta Mode. They are still working inside Vienna Ensemble Pro Server.




    All software updates from VSL have been installed.




    On my Intel I5 Macbook running 14.4. there are no problems.




    Did someone else encountered difficulties in that matter also? I´ll inform the support team as well.




    Greetings from Munich







    My system:




    MacStudio M2 Max, 32 GB Ram, macOS Sonoma 14.4.




    Logic Pro X 10.8.1

















    @Stu-Daddy said:
    @ChrisMuc2023 said:

    Hello all,




    just a friendly warning for Logic 10.8.1 users on a Mac M2 machine. Yesterday I updated MacOS to 14.4. and all Synchron Players stopped working as an Audio Unit Plug-In inside Logic, also in Rosetta Mode. They are still working inside Vienna Ensemble Pro Server.




    All software updates from VSL have been installed.




    On my Intel I5 Macbook running 14.4. there are no problems.




    Did someone else encountered difficulties in that matter also? I´ll inform the support team as well.




    Greetings from Munich







    My system:




    MacStudio M2 Max, 32 GB Ram, macOS Sonoma 14.4.




    Logic Pro X 10.8.1

















    @ChrisMuc2023 said:

    Hello all,


    just a friendly warning for Logic 10.8.1 users on a Mac M2 machine. Yesterday I updated MacOS to 14.4. and all Synchron Players stopped working as an Audio Unit Plug-In inside Logic, also in Rosetta Mode. They are still working inside Vienna Ensemble Pro Server.


    All software updates from VSL have been installed.


    On my Intel I5 Macbook running 14.4. there are no problems.


    Did someone else encountered difficulties in that matter also? I´ll inform the support team as well.


    Greetings from Munich



    My system:


    MacStudio M2 Max, 32 GB Ram, macOS Sonoma 14.4.


    Logic Pro X 10.8.1






  • The new Sonoma 14.4.1 update looks to have fixed these bugs. Anyone tried it? https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/25/apple-releases-macos-sonoma-14-4-1/


  • @G-Wiz said:

    The new Sonoma 14.4.1 update looks to have fixed these bugs. Anyone tried it? https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/25/apple-releases-macos-sonoma-14-4-1/

    just installed. Everything is fine

  • The following has been posted on Mac Rumors on March 25, 2024:

    "According to Apple's release notes, the ‌macOS Sonoma‌ 14.4.1 update fixes an issue that could cause USB hubs connected to external displays not to be recognized. It also addresses an issue that could cause apps with Java to quit unexpectedly, and it fixes an issue that could cause Audio Unit plug-ins for professional music apps not to open."


  • Good news from my side too: it seems to be fixed with update version 14.4.1 ...but lets see what´s coming next from Apple 🥳


  • @Ben said:

    As far as we know this is a Apple Sonoma and AudioUnit-only plugin on M2 and M3 devices. M1 CPUs seem not to be affected.


    Apple is aware of this issue and is planning to fix it in an upcoming release. We do not know the schedule for this release.


    In case you are running an M2/M3 CPU the best thing is not to upgrade to MacOS 14.4 until the fix gets reelased by Apple.
    Also, running the DAW in Rosetta mode seems not to trigger this issue.


    Best, Ben

    Ben, is 14.4.1 Sonoma now officially supported by VSL products? The manufacturers of everything else which is mission-critical for me are now saying "OK to upgrade your OS" so if VSL are also happy I'll go ahead. I've probably been over-cautious as I'm using Pro Tools and thus AAX rather than AU plugins but experience is a hard master.

    Thanks!

    Nick


    Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • @nick-halliwell said:
    Ben, is 14.4.1 Sonoma now officially supported by VSL products? The manufacturers of everything else which is mission-critical for me are now saying "OK to upgrade your OS" so if VSL are also happy I'll go ahead. I've probably been over-cautious as I'm using Pro Tools and thus AAX rather than AU plugins but experience is a hard master.

    Thanks!

    Nick

    Hi Nick,

    I'm using M2 Mac and can confirm that VSL libraries are back working natively in the latest Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1.

    Best,
    Erik



    Support Team | VSL Content Creator
  • @Erisno said:
    @nick-halliwell said:
    Ben, is 14.4.1 Sonoma now officially supported by VSL products? The manufacturers of everything else which is mission-critical for me are now saying "OK to upgrade your OS" so if VSL are also happy I'll go ahead. I've probably been over-cautious as I'm using Pro Tools and thus AAX rather than AU plugins but experience is a hard master.

    Thanks!

    Nick

    Hi Nick,

    I'm using M2 Mac and can confirm that VSL libraries are back working natively in the latest Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1.

    Best,
    Erik


    Thanks Erik. I think I'll wait until someone from VSL confirms before I press the button, but I'll double check I've got everything backed up in preparation for doing it soon.

    All the best

    Nick


    Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • Erik is "someone from VSL" 😊
    The "VSL Team" badge under the username confirms this.


    Ben@VSL | IT & Product Specialist
  • @Ben said:

    Erik is "someone from VSL" 😊
    The "VSL Team" badge under the username confirms this.


    Apologies to Erik, I didn't notice the badge. Anyway, this is good news, I'll start planning to upgrade over the next few days.

    Nick


    Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • Upgraded to Sonoma 14.4.1 this morning. Everything seems to work so far, although I did notice the Pro Tools GUI was a bit sluggish with a track that was perfectly responsive in Ventura last night. System usage according to PT showed RAM at around 60%, CPU usage very low. Things may just need tweaking a little bit but so far, so good...


    Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • Actually I spoke too soon earlier. This really isn't great. The Pro Tools GUI has slowed down, it's like the old days when you were using a lower buffer size with a high track count, it takes about five seconds to stop after you hit the space bar and the display lags behind playback.

    There's already the issue with Synchron series instruments where they take a few seconds to open or switch (see: https://forum.vsl.co.at/topic/59824/gui-slower-response/22). It's possible to work, audio is OK, but it's pretty frustrating with two sets of delays involved. I don't know whether this is only with Pro Tools. I've not noticed it with anything else so far, but then I've not used any other software intensively. I hope this gets sorted out. I deliberately held off on upgrading to Sonoma until it was qualified for Pro Tools, VSL and a couple of other manufacturers whose stuff I use a lot.

    Oh well. I'll see if I can find out any more but anyone else thinking of moving to Sonoma might want to check whether there are issues with their DAW or other software.


    Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • @nick.halliwell Has ProTools actually said that Sonoma 14.4.1 is compatible yet?


    Just a beginner
  • @rAC said:

    @nick.halliwell Has ProTools actually said that Sonoma 14.4.1 is compatible yet?

    The last release (2024.3.0) said it was qualified for Sonoma. Hmm... However, it looks as though I jumped the gun (which is ironic as I'm always the bloke who's two years behind the latest OS), as on checking again apparently they've qualified 14.3.1 (major performance boosts, they say, albeit with some "known issues"). However 14.4.1 is the version the VSL lads here mentioned.

    Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to live with it until there's sufficient Avidity to sort it out. It is possible to work, it's just rather annoying; combined with the Synchron issue it feels like I've gone back about twenty-five years in time when computers could only just cope with what we were trying to throw at them. Unfortunately I don't appear to be twenty-five years younger.


    Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.