Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,968 users have contributed to 42,269 threads and 254,961 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• I need information about how to eq/comp Synchron Strings

Hi

I'm looking for information and suggestions how to eq/comp Synchron Strings inside VEPro 7. I know about busses and routing, but would like to watch/read something about this topic. I have been looking through quite some YT videos, but haven't yet found what I'm looking for.

So any suggestions are welcome!

• Hi Stig,

It really depends on what you are trying to do. You can either use basic compression and EQing in the Synchron Player or route the separate mics to extra Aux channels in VE Pro to apply other FX to the various channels.

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Here are some general EQ-tips:
    If you are not particularly experienced in using the EQ, I would avoid making major changes to the sound of the individual string instruments. By this I mean the use of more or less steep bell EQ filters and lots of +/- dBs. The whole string orchestra sounds most natural the way VSL makes it available to us. Nevertheless, there are of course individual presets that sometimes sound a little strange, but you don't have to choose them.

However, you are welcome to use an EQ in the sum channel - i.e. where all the string instruments are "collected". This EQ can be used to make the overall string sound a little brighter or darker. High shelf filters with a Q as low as possible <1 are suitable for this. 3.5 kHz can be selected as the output frequency. Even +2dB can give the strings a little sparkle. Darker coloration comes into play when the string orchestra has to "make room" for a soloist so that they can be heard better (as in this video). In this case, the frequency can also be set at 2.5 kHz. The video also shows that you can (should) automate this EQ process.

------------------------

Here are two compressor tips:
    As you know, a compressor compresses the dynamics. Such dynamic peaks can occur in the sum channel of the strings, simply because several instrument signals come together there. This is why a "summing compressor" is often used in summing channels - even if we have completely normal string instruments. The aim is not to make the strings as loud as possible, as in pop music (sometimes they are 😉, but rather to smooth out the dynamic peaks mentioned above and "glue" the whole string sound together. As already mentioned, this can be achieved with moderate compressor settings.

In classical music, the so-called "New York compression" can also be used. In this case, the loud peaks are not cut, but the quiet parts are boosted. This application makes sense if the quiet parts of the strings are difficult to hear in the mix (e.g. quiet pizzicati).
    As Paul already mentioned above: It always depends on the current situation.
    And because a situation is rarely the same over the entire mix, you should automate all these measures (as shown in the video above with three examples).

I wish you a lot of success

Beat

------------------------------------------

Examples...
    - Orchestral sound darker 1 (EQ) while the recorders are playing.
    - Orchestral sound darker 2 (EQ) while the solo violin is playing.

- NewYork compression 1 (so that the strings are never too quiet).
    - NewYork compression 2 (so that the strings are never too quiet).

- "Normal" compression 1 (to create a rich string sound).
    - "Normal" compression 2 (to create a rich string sound).

- No compression at all but automation (volume and filters)

Have Fun

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • There are some very useful presets in "Vienna Equalizer Pro" contained with VE7, including 1st and 2nd violins, violas and cellos specifically for Synchron Strings (as well as for other instrument libraries).

They all work great for me, each preset instantly makes the instrument sound smoother, and probably won't need much tweaking, if any.

I haven't tried the presets in VE7's compressor, but I suppose they may help as a starting point.