Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,438 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,075 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 55 new user(s).

• Sluggish performance with VE Pro 7 & Cubase in Ventura

Hi folks. I'm coming back to VE after a few years of running a disabled template with everything loaded in Cubase, and I've been having some performance issues while rebuilding the template. I don't know if these are specific to VE, but since it only seems to be an issue when VE is loaded I thought I'd start here. I'm running VE on the same Mac as Cubase in an attempt to shrink down file sizes and take some of the load off of Cubase.

I'm using a 2019 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHz computer with 384 GB of RAM, and everything loaded on RAIDed M.2 drives, and running Ventura 13.6.4. Cubase is up to date at 13.0.20, same with VE at 7.3.3610.

The first problem is that my entire system is running very sluggishly with VE open and loaded. There's a noticeable lag in moving the mouse, typing, selecting menu items, etc. I'm still fairly early in building my template, currently two instances of VE are open, using around 65 GB of RAM. Plugins are minimal, just the VE EQ on 25 or so tracks.

The second problem is latency. I'm running it with a buffer of 384, and even with the VE buffer set in the plugin to none, I'm still getting noticeably more latency than I should. It's been a few years since I've used VE, but I seem to remember it being snappier than this.

Like I said, I'm not sure that it's VE that's causing the problem, but since my troubleshooting skills are a little out of date and barely remembered I'm looking for any suggestions. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!