Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,886 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,944 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• MIR 3D Instrument Position Presets are not shown in the preset management & VEPRO workflow with MIR3D

Hello,

I have a few questions! I'm new to VSL MIR3D and I'm currently demoing this beautiful plugin. However, I noticed that the instrument position presets are missing in the venue presets; only mic position presets are available. Could this be because I'm using the demo version?

Also, I already have VEPRO, although I haven't used it in a long time because my templates have grown quite large and I think my new system can handle them well. What is the potential workflow with MIR3D when combined with VEPRO? Are there any beneficial features that I might not be aware of?

Thank you!

• last edited
    last edited

Hi JH,

thanks for your interest in MIR 3D!

The Preset Manager should open when you press F7, or select the respective entrance from the "View ..." pull-down menu of MIR's main window. On the left, you should see two main categories of Venue Presets here, namely "Factory Presets" and "User Presets". As soon as you click the little triangle on the left side of each headline, the sub-directories will be visible.

There are two kinds of Factory Presets:

• The full-blown "Vienna Standards" will indeed come with settings for more or less every single Vienna Instrument, in (hopfully) meaningful relation to each other. We're talking about more than 400 entries here! Due to the simple fact that not all Venues are big enough for that kind of setup, there are only seven Venues with "Vienna Standards".
    • And then there are countless Venue Presets for each Venue. They are meant to be understood as "empty hall, readily set up for recording" with hand-crafted microphone settings, RoomEQs and sometimes a few suggested instrument positions, but no full orchestra setup (... which might be useless anyway, e.g. in case of 3*4 meters studio booth 😉 ...).

The "instrument position presets" you seem to miss are what we call "Roles" in MIR 3D, because one and the same instrument can have different tasks which ask for different settings, consequently. They are always part of an Venue Preset, but can be copied freely between them. - Like mentioned above, they are available only for Vienna Instruments (and their Synchron-ized versions, to a certain extent) [EDIT: Please read the following posting!], as these settings go way beyond mere positions: They contain information as diverse as volume in relation to all other instruments of the orchestra, stereo width, rotation, specific EQ settings for the dry signal, RoomEQ assignements, colour of the Icon, and so on.

-> https://www.vsl.info/en/manuals/mir-pro-3d/roles

The big benefit when working with MIR 3D as part of Vienna Ensemble is that MIR is able to exchange information with the Vienna Instruments Player in the same channel. MIR can automatically assign the proper Instrument Profile that way, which contains all information about the instrument itself (but has no relation to a Venue yet). This makes the setup of huge arrangements considerably faster, because this step has to be done manually as soon as MIR is hosted by any other DAWs. - For advanced use cases VE Pro also offers the option to split the wet signal component from MIR's output and route it to a dedicated bus of its own. This isn't possible in other environment (with the exception of ProTools).

Apart from that, MIR 3D will happily live inside your host application, too. 😊

... please don't hesitate to ask if you need further help.

Enjoy MIR 3D!

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • As a reply to myself:

@Dietz said:
    Like mentioned above, they are available only for Vienna Instruments

IMPORTANT: Of course there can be Roles for any source in MIR 3D! It's just the Vienna Standards that are restricted to Vienna Instrument.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library