Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,031 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,973 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• MIR 3D and Binaural Mixes

Hi,

I know it was discussed multiple times but I am missing the big picture right now.

I was watching the YouTube Video of Sara Belle Reid about composing for an ambisonic dome. Sara Belle Reid Ambisonics Compositions

It made me remember that some years ago, I had a seminar from IRCAM alumnis about IRCAM SPAT in the Residenztheater Munich.

This made me think, how I can work with MIR Pro3D to make binaural mixes - Is it just to make a multichannel 3D mix and send it to a streo track with some binaural VST plugin?

Or is there more to it?

Do I need the Salzburg Room Pack or does my Konzerthaus venue pack does the trick as well?

Pardon my ignorance, I never made binaural mixes (except that I remember that I have a Sennheiser binaural Head in the attic that I was getting at my 18th birthday and that was LOONG ago and that I used it to record my brother Jazz band in a pretty bad hangout location straight into a 2Track TEAC tape reel)

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.
  • last edited
    last edited

@Holgmeister said:
    This made me think, how I can work with MIR Pro3D to make binaural mixes - Is it just to make a multichannel 3D mix and send it to a streo track with some binaural VST plugin?

Almost! 😉

You will do your MIR 3D mix (e.g. in 5.1.4 or 7.1.4) and add a binauralizer plug-in to that multi-channel track (e.g. Dear VR Monitor). The output will be in stereo (for headphones only, of course).

Alternatively you could stay in raw 3rd Order Ambisonics altogether and do both the Ambisonics decoding _and_ the binauralization from this format, e.g. by means of the free IEM plug-in suite.

... maybe these tutorial video are helpful, too:

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Dietz,

thanks for the answer, now I understand the workflow.

One more question:

Will using the RoomPack 6 "Salzburg" have significant advantages/quality jumps over Roompack 1 "Konzerthaus"?

Thanks

Holger

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.
  • @Holgmeister said:
    Will using the RoomPack 6 "Salzburg" have significant advantages/quality jumps over Roompack 1 "Konzerthaus"?

That's a bit like asking "Should I play a Steinway or a Boesendorfer?" 😄

Without doubt, the Festspielhaus Salzburg-RoomPack contains the most up-to-date MIR Venues, as their creation is founded upon two decades of research and development. The two Venues, "Grosses Haus" and the spectacular "Boehm Saal", were also the first that took the new possibilities of MIR 3D into account already.

That said, Vienna Konzerthaus is amongst the most famous concert houses on our globe for a good reason. Its "Grosser Saal" is often said to be one of the five best orchestral halls of the world, while the smaller "Mozart Saal" is maybe _the_ ideal venue for acoustic chamber music in general. The RoomPack also encompasses three additional spaces, which will give you more options to choose from.

... it's really up to you! If money is no object, I would strongly suggest to get both. 😉

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library