Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,891 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,944 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Harry Gregson-Williams - Shrek - Fairytale

last edited
    last edited

Here is my performance of Harry Gregson-Williams’s “Fairytale” cue from the animated film “Shrek” (2001).

Shrek Cubase Project

Shrek YouTube Video

The glockenspiel, wind chimes and harp immediately create a fantasy sound. And the simple folktune style of the melody also helps reinforce that "once upon a time" fairytale vibe.

The piece features the flute 1 and oboe 2 from the Synchron Woodwinds library and uses “mostly” the new lyrical legato articulation. This new patch has smooth legato transitions and an expressive vibrato especially on the longer notes.

I could not find an official score for this cue. Instead, I relied on a number of transcriptions on musescore.com as well as my own ear to fill in any gaps. I find it quite challenging to tease apart the instrumental parts that are merely doubling other instruments to add a little extra color. But transcribing can be an enjoying exercise and forces me to really listen deep into the orchestration.

I used the following VSL libraries:

• Synchron Woodwinds
    • Synchron Brass
    • SYNCHRON-ized Soprano Choir
    • SYNCHRON-ized Vienna Choir
    • Synchron Basso Profundo Choir
    • Synchron Percussion
    • Synchron Harp
    • Synchron Yamaha CFX
    • Synchron Duality Strings
    • SYNCHRON-ized Solo Strings (violin 1)

Please feel free to make any commnets or ask any questions.

Best wishes,
    Jay