Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,893 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,944 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Computer Specs in 2024

last edited
    last edited

Hi everyone!

I would thank a piece of advise about the computer requirements to run big projects with VSL SY Orchestra (Strings Pro, Woodwinds, Brass, Harp, Piano and Percussion bundle) and other instruments:

-Which are the minimun requirements (RAM, CPU, cores performance/efficiency), storage?

-Each product specifies the need of RAM, but, if I would like to use Strings+WW+Brass+ Percussion+... Do I need all the RAM required by every product? It would be crazy....

-Would be different with other libraries? I mean: would I need more ore less for other libraries (BBCSO, Holywood, ...)?

-Is it possible to work comfortably with the libraries allocated in external SSD or is it needed to get the libraries in the internal drive?

-I have considered the new Macbook Pro M3: is it possible to work with only a laptop (may be with another screen)? Is it worth the M3 Max processor?

-I have heard that performance cores and efficiency cores work different when it comes to audio, and depending on the DAW (I use Loic) it is more important the number of performance cores than the efficiency cores.

-What is more important CPU or RAM? For instance 14 Core CPU with 98 Gb RAM or 16 Core CPU with 64 GB RAM?

-Is it GPU going to be used rather than Reverb with the Power House? Will it be useful for instruments (VSL and other companies)?

Many thanks for your help.

Best,

Manuel

• Hi Manuel

I have put my answers with a > in Bold

-Which are the minimun requirements (RAM, CPU, cores performance/efficiency), storage?

> for large project 64 GB is not enough, 128 GB is very confortable

-Each product specifies the need of RAM, but, if I would like to use Strings+WW+Brass+ Percussion+... Do I need all the RAM required by every product? It would be crazy....

> no each VSL lib is charging in memory only the sample needed

-Would be different with other libraries? I mean: would I need more ore less for other libraries (BBCSO, Holywood, ...)?

> I dont have those lib, I have begin with EW QLSO and moved to ONLY VSL for orchestal instruments

-Is it possible to work comfortably with the libraries allocated in external SSD or is it needed to get the libraries in the internal drive?

> it depends of the speed of you external SSD, in the M3 the internal SSD reads à 5 000 MB/S, you need to look at MVME 2 SSD ; I have all my libs in the internal SSD of my M3

-I have considered the new Macbook Pro M3: is it possible to work with only a laptop (may be with another screen)? Is it worth the M3 Max processor?

> yes, most of the time I use only my M3's screen ; when mixing and editing many track I connect my M3 to two my external screen

-I have heard that performance cores and efficiency cores work different when it comes to audio, and depending on the DAW (I use Logic) it is more important the number of performance cores than the efficiency cores.

> I,do not use VE PRO with Logic, all my instruments are in Logic

-What is more important CPU or RAM? For instance 14 Core CPU with 98 Gb RAM or 16 Core CPU with 64 GB RAM?

> ?

-Is it GPU going to be used rather than Reverb with the Power House? Will it be useful for instruments (VSL and other companies)?

> Yes with MIR PRO 3D

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Many thanks for all your ideas, Cyril!

You have a really powerful machine, but a bit too much for my pocket. Do you think 98 Gb of Ram would be enough?

How many tracks can you manage with 128 Gb?

Thanks again,

Manuel

• My M3 is going to be my last computer before I go up there

It realy depends of the number of tracks and the what player is used, some libs in Kontakt are using 1 gb

I have moved from an intel MBP 64 gb to the M3 128 gb because my ventilator where making a lot of noise and now I want to use Dolby Atmos

If you decide to go to 98 gb ; be sure you restart you Mac before a Logic session and to watch the Swap used in Activity Monitor, I try to keep it at zero

With Apple you can try the 98 gb and send it back if you have problem, check general condition of your country

@M-G-A said:

Many thanks for all your ideas, Cyril!

You have a really powerful machine, but a bit too much for my pocket. Do you think 98 Gb of Ram would be enough?

How many tracks can you manage with 128 Gb?

Thanks again,

Manuel

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • @M-G-A said:

Hi everyone!

I would thank a piece of advise about the computer requirements to run big projects with VSL SY Orchestra (Strings Pro, Woodwinds, Brass, Harp, Piano and Percussion bundle) and other instruments:

-I have heard that performance cores and efficiency cores work different when it comes to audio, and depending on the DAW (I use Loic) it is more important the number of performance cores than the efficiency cores.

Manuel,

To address some of your questions

I have a M1 Ultra Studio with 128Gb RAM that I've yet to overload except where something odd is going on with the program/plugins ie I have a comparatively small project that generates overload messages without appearing to stress either the cores or the disc access. I got a refurbished unit as I have good experiences with refurbished Apple stuff. For my desired usage I thought I would need 96Gb RAM but the 128 Gb was what came up. Rather than pay for a screen that you won't use I would suggest holding off getting a M3 laptop and perhaps wait for the M3 Studio unless you also have a good use case for a laptop. That said the M2 cores are faster than the M1's and in turn the M3s are faster again.

CPU vrs RAM is always a difficult one - a faster CPU will handle a longer string of plugins whilst RAM will let you load more samples. But both depend on each other to some extent.

I have no experience with BBCSO but EW's Opus version of Hollywood orchestra (and the fantasy orchestra) seem to take about the same RAM as VSL's. I haven't used Musio enough to comment at all one way or the other about it.

You say you are using Logic - at the moment Logic apparently doesn't use efficency cores so more performance cores would be better.

My libraries are all on external drives and that does not appear to cause any issues at all.

Powerhouse does, when GPU mode activated, seem to cut the CPU load a bit.

Just a beginner
  • This post is deleted!