Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,924 users have contributed to 42,264 threads and 254,950 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• Any reason to keep eLicenser if I have an iLok account?

I have an iLok account, which I understand has replaced eLicenser - are there any contexts in which I should still be using eLicenser? Including integration with Logic Pro X? For example, if I have sample libraries from all the way back in 2010?

If you feel like it, please let me know of any other stumbling blocks you think I might encounter, returning after so long.

Professor of Music Director of Graduate Studies in Music Inaugural Director of Creative Technologies University of California, Santa Cruz
  • "Should..." There is no need to keep using eLicenser sounds, as they all can be replicated with iLok.

Strictly speaking, technically, eLicenses still will work. This past year I jump-started a mid-2011 Mac mini with a third party patcher (dosdude) that enabled Ventura on a legacy system. I was encouraged to see my eLicensers enable VI libraries.

So if your operating system allows, and you have a taste for library redundancy, you could concomitantly run identical libraries for Ilok and eLicenser. (Again, look into the latest OS that eLicenser tolerated.)

A critical reminder: these require their own downloads. If your sample folder ends with "-Ilok," eLicenser won't see it, and vice versa. VSL graciously keeps VI/eLicenser downloads accessible.

The biggest gotcha is that Vienna Ensemble Pro requires identical VEP versions between computers to share communication, and VEP cannot run on older operating systems (I say this in case you're thinking of using those 2010 sounds on a separate legacy system via a network.)

Do I recommend such a layout? It's more of a geek pursuit, guaranteed to consume the time you could have spent making music. Any library you own that is eLicenser can be downloaded in an iLok format.