Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,874 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,944 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• Honky sound on D-274 standard condensor mic octave #2 C#/D (2 octaves below middle C)

I purchased the standard license a month ago. It's my first Synchron piano, though I've owned a license for the Imperial for a number of years.

My problem is that the C# and D keys in the second (bass) octave have a weird hard/metalic overtone(?) to them which isn't affecting the adjacent notes. For lack of a better characterization I'm calling it honky but whatever it is, those two notes stand out in an unpleasant way when they get played.

I know that note edit is probably the way to address this, but any specifics on what exactly to change? I've selected the notes but haven't found the right EQ adjustment to make it go away yet. This problem is most noticable through speakers (my NV10S internal and also KH310a external) but it's also there with headphones. I have to assume others have heard this. I've tried using TDR Nova GE 'learing mode' and it helps somewhat, but I really don't think I need to EQ the entire range, just these two notes. Lowering the EQ gain at the fundamental hasn't made it sound better. I've never experienced this particular problem with any other Piano plugin.

I'm using the intimate preset with no velocity curve adjustments but have turned down the gain on the room mic and up on the condenser close mic as I like a fairly dry sound.

Help?

Jon
  • @JONATHANLEVIN said:

I purchased the standard license a month ago. It's my first Synchron piano, though I've owned a license for the Imperial for a number of years.

My problem is that the C# and D keys in the second (bass) octave have a weird hard/metalic overtone(?) to them which isn't affecting the adjacent notes. For lack of a better characterization I'm calling it honky but whatever it is, those two notes stand out in an unpleasant way when they get played.

I know that note edit is probably the way to address this, but any specifics on what exactly to change? I've selected the notes but haven't found the right EQ adjustment to make it go away yet. This problem is most noticable through speakers (my NV10S internal and also KH310a external) but it's also there with headphones. I have to assume others have heard this. I've tried using TDR Nova GE 'learing mode' and it helps somewhat, but I really don't think I need to EQ the entire range, just these two notes. Lowering the EQ gain at the fundamental hasn't made it sound better. I've never experienced this particular problem with any other Piano plugin.

I'm using the intimate preset with no velocity curve adjustments but have turned down the gain on the room mic and up on the condenser close mic as I like a fairly dry sound.

Help?

Tried all the single note EQ/dynamics edits I could think of. Seems to be specific to theses two notes on the condenser mic. It's most noticeable with speaker output. None of my other VSTs, including the older VST Imperial have this problem. For what I play, it makes this piano unusable.

Jon
  • Here's a recording of the problem. Help???

Jon
  • BTW- this recording was made with a fresh copy of VSL D-274 standard, no EQ. I selected the intimate preset and changed the mix to only include the close condenser mic. I'm playing octave#2 C through E chromatically. Listen to the 2nd (C#) and 3rd (D) notes. How the heck do I get rid of this?!?

Jon
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but that is just the sound of the piano. Mine sounds exactly the same. Here is just the condenser from my 274:

At least you know that yours isn't "broken." The shimmering matalic overtones is part of theD274 charm. If you're looking for a warmer less "honky" sound 🙂, I would encourage you to try the F308. It's my favorite VSL piano to date and I've owned them all.

God Bless,

David

F308, D-274, 280VC, Bösendorfer Imperial, Vienna Imperial
  • Thanks for confirming this isn't just me David. I'm really surprised this doesn't bother others. I guess one man's rusty can is another's shimmer. I considered the Fazioli during the sale but Thornann didn't have it and they were cheaper than everyone else. I also thought I'd prefer the Steinway given some of the YT videos I've heard with classical content. I have played a Steinway Model D. It was properly regulated and didn't have this sound. If I ever consider a VSL in the future, I'll probably trial it to be sure. I've purchased plugins I've been disappointed with and became a write off (expected when you own more than 100) but not expected here.

Jon
  • David- Paul from VSL has confirmed that my recording represents the actual sound of the piano. I've never heard this on any acoustic I've played but it is what it is. I'll chalk this up to a life experience!

Jon