Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• CPU spikes on first playback after opening project

After opening a project I'm working on with about 30 instances of synchron player (mostly synchron prime), I'm getting huge cpu spikes on the inital playback. It will overload the system a few times before finishing the whole project. After that initial playback everything seems to work fine.

CPU meter is well under 25% the whole way unless there is a big spike. RAM is not full. (17gb used)

I'm running Logic pro on an M2 Mac Studio with 32gb ram.

I upped the buffer size to 1024 and it didn't make a difference.

Any thoughts?

-Isaac

Hugs
  • Where are your library ?

External SSD ?

Do you use VE ?

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic --- Studio equipped in Dolby Atmos 7.1.2
  • Library is on my internal drive. super fast mac ssd.

I'm using synchron player. (many instances)

Should I use VE for big projects?

Isaac

Hugs
  • A couple of things you might try:

1. Reduce the buffer to say 256 (it has been noted that Mseries Mac's seem to perform better with smaller buffers!).
    2. Have a look at you Thread settings in Logic and try fiddling with them (eg if you already specify a number there try Auto if you have it on auto try specifying a number (also try a couple of different numbers there).

HTH Richard

Just a beginner
  • last edited
    last edited

I've CPU spikes on an old Mac Pro 2013 (12-core). This seems to happen since the latest Synchron Player update (1.3.810). SP is running in the latest VEP, OS is Monterey.

I've tried with the default buffer=256, then up to 2048, and back to 256, but with no differences.

I've changed nothing else in my setup. Using an external 8TB SSD on USB3. The only thing that is new is Dorico 5.1, but I'm not sure to have noticed anything strange after the update.

Paolo