Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,898 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,945 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• Alan Silvestri - Forrest Gump - Main Title

last edited
    last edited

Hello everyone,

Here is my performance of Alan Silvestri's "Main Title" cue from the film "Forrest Gump" (1994). Silvestri was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Score for his work on this film.

I used a combination of Synchron Duality Strings Colors (Flautando) and a small amount of Synchron Duality Strings Regular for the first part of the piece (0:01-1:27). For the middle section I used a combination of Synchron Duality Strings Con Sordino and Synchron Duality Strings Regular (1:27- 2:01). For the final section I again used a combination of Synchron Duality Strings Colors (Flautando) and Synchron Duality Strings Regular (2:01-end).

The flautando strings added a lovely, soft, flute-like timbre to the quieter passages, and the small amount of regular strings added some extra body. The score didn't explicitly call for con sordino strings. But after listening carefully to the original recording, I had the impression that half the violins might be using mutes during the main melody. This prompted me to try adding the Synchron Duality Sordino Violins to regular violins for the main melody. I also used mostly the Stage B mics for the sordino violins because they added a lot of detail and a sense of bowing.

And speaking of bowing, I found that it was challenge to get my performance of the melodic section to feel rhythmically "just right." In the original recording, the strings play with a fair amount of rubato in this melodic section. But when I tried to match those timings, the passage sounded a bit sluggish. Herb Tucmandl gave me the following suggestion:

"You could try is to program Stage A and Stage B on different tracks with slightly different midi programming (maybe not on all notes, just selected ones)."

I took his advice and I was finally happy with that section.

I was also happy to get the chance to use the new-ish Synchron Fazioli piano for the first time for the 2 piano parts. I really enjoyed it's unique timbre at this moderate dynamic and middle register. Finally, I was impressed by Silvestri's decision to keep the piano parts super simple-- nothing virtuosic, basically just monophonic lines-- almost as if Silvestri wanted to treat the piano as a solo woodwind instrument. In my mind, this decision for simplicity reinforces the child-like innocence of the character Forrest Gump himself.

Please feel free to leave any comments or ask any questions.

Happy Holidays (and music-making),
    Jay Bacal

ALAN SILVESTRI - Forrest Gump - Main Title
    CLICK for mp3
    CLICK for Cubase Project

CLICK for Forrest Gump Video

• last edited
    last edited

Hi JBacal.
    Just to express my gratitude for all the mockups you have published with the VSL Movie Masterpieces series, they are beautiful and equally informative for learning while having fun.

Not having certain musical skills and midi programming, these Mockups are a godsend for me.
    I specifically purchased some VSL and VEP7 Pro libraries to recreate the original sound as much as possible for these Mockups, obviously with everything I have available at the moment.
    I hope you continue to publish more Mockups for Cubase. With the whole VSL Team.

Finally, after my dutiful thanks for your work that you provide to us users, I have a couple of requests to make that are always compatible with your future programming.

Harry Potter : Obliviate by A. Desplat
    Harry Potter : Statues by A.Desplat

Thank you and best wishes for a peaceful year 2024.

• Thank you for your encouraging words. I will keep your suggestions in mind. There will definitely be many more pieces published in 2024 by many of the best film composers in the business. Stay tuned...