Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,038 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,974 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• MIR 3D Crashes Nuendo 13 when enabling GPU audio

Hi

I just purchased an AMD RX 7900 XTX 24GB card to run Powerhouse on but as soon as I switch to GPU power it crashes Nuendo.

I have a 7.1.4 VSTi heavy project loaded in Nuendo 13.0.20 on Windows 11 latest, which has been using MIR 3D (latest, CPU power) successfully. I run two remote VEPro7 (latest) servers. My sound card is RME MADI FX PCIe running at 512 buffer, MIR at 512 buffer.

I have the latest Addrenalin 23.12.3 drivers installed as minimal setup. Previously I tried installing drivers only, same thing. AMD seem to have stopped Pro drivers working on the rx 7900 xtx. I have ony the Addrenalin drivers to work with.

Please help me get powerhouse working. There is no documentation on troubleshooting AMD, what settings to enable on the card and in MIR when running powerhouse. There was no advise on the GPU Audio site saying doesnt work with any specific cards like RX 7900 XTX other than newer than 2019 which the xtx obviously is.

• @bcslaam said:

Hi

I just purchased an AMD RX 7900 XTX 24GB card to run Powerhouse on but as soon as I switch to GPU power it crashes Nuendo.

I have a 7.1.4 VSTi heavy project loaded in Nuendo 13.0.20 on Windows 11 latest, which has been using MIR 3D (latest, CPU power) successfully. I run two remote VEPro7 (latest) servers. My sound card is RME MADI FX PCIe running at 512 buffer, MIR at 512 buffer.

I have the latest Addrenalin 23.12.3 drivers installed as minimal setup. Previously I tried installing drivers only, same thing. AMD seem to have stopped Pro drivers working on the rx 7900 xtx. I have ony the Addrenalin drivers to work with.

Please help me get powerhouse working. There is no documentation on troubleshooting AMD, what settings to enable on the card and in MIR when running powerhouse. There was no advise on the GPU Audio site saying doesnt work with any specific cards like RX 7900 XTX other than newer than 2019 which the xtx obviously is.

Hi @bcslaam,

Please have a try fresh install of the HIP Windows SDK that might provide you compatible driver setup as well:

https://rocm.docs.amd.com/projects/install-on-windows/en/latest/index.html#hip-install-quick

Let me know if this helps

• last edited
    last edited

@Sasha-T said:

@bcslaam said:

Hi

Hi @bcslaam,

Please have a try fresh install of the HIP Windows SDK that might provide you compatible driver setup as well:

https://rocm.docs.amd.com/projects/install-on-windows/en/latest/index.html#hip-install-quick

Let me know if this helps

Thanks for the link. Previously, I looked hard for the pro drivers on GPU-audio site, discord, VSL and coulldnt find it. There really is a lack of info for AMD users. There's nothing officially written that you can only run AMD Powerhouse using the Pro drivers, its only dropped in a long video. It all seems so cryptic.

AFAIK that link is the only way to get a Pro driver that's working for the RX 7900 xtx. All other pathways via support/downloads dont have the xtx as an option.

I cleaned standard drivers off in safe mode with DDU, then installed the whole developer kit (1.1GB, incl ray tracing and SDK) minus the Compiler - does that need installing too? Everything else was ticked. Latest Q3 Pro drivers successfully installed.

Yet - Same thing, instant crash of all DAWs. I've read that its worth trying a re-install of MIR 3D Pro and so I did it through Vienna Assistsnt. Installing rooms in order. No dice.

My demo had run out so I bought Powerhouse and frustrated that I cant use it.

A previously unanswered question: Are there any settings on the AMD card that need setting like OpenGL triple buffering (disabled), 10bit (disabled) etc

There are no 3d settings in the Pro driver. I've read that with the addrenalin driver you can set 3d settings to be determined by the application. No such facility in these drivers.

Please advise?

Edit: I also use the video card to run a 4k monitor and 3 HD monitors. Does that matter? There's no info on this either.

• I have just done tests with only one video cable connected to the rx7900xtx and with none (using intel internal for graphics) and they both produced the same behaviour. All tested DAWs crash upon switching to GPU.

An event log points to gpu_audio_amd.dll as the culprit. I have sent email to vsl support and posted on gpu-audio discord.

• Hi @bcslaam, I just forwarded your info to the engineers, please bear with me a few days more

• @bcslaam, the issue ticket is created. We'll get back to you once I hear the solution details from the dev team. Thanks for sharing the info!

• last edited
    last edited

So I just saw in reply yesterday to someone else on discord that GPU Audio dont currently support the rx7000 series. @Sasha T ?

Are you aware that it says on the VSL Powerhouse page that the AMD RX7000 series is supported?

• @bcslaam said:

So I just saw in reply yesterday to someone else on discord that GPU Audio dont currently support the rx7000 series. @Sasha T ?

Are you aware that it says on the VSL Powerhouse page that the AMD RX7000 series is supported?

Hi @bcslaam. It looks like the library that is included in VSL distribution indeed doesn't have a 7000 series GPU supported, however, we support it in the other library version we have prepared internally, so it's a question of getting the update provided from us to VSL and then - to the customers.

I am working on this with the engineers and I want to see if we can ship it anytime soon or not.

• @Sasha-T said:

@bcslaam said:

Hi @bcslaam. It looks like the library that is included in VSL distribution indeed doesn't have a 7000 series GPU supported, however, we support it in the other library version we have prepared internally, so it's a question of getting the update provided from us to VSL and then - to the customers.

I am working on this with the engineers and I want to see if we can ship it anytime soon or not.

Thanks Sasha T.

It is still not clear, in any documentation, that running your monitors on the same card is possible without glitching audio. Given that the card is powerful enough.

For example the rx7900xtx I bought for powerhouse is almost as powerful as nvidia rtx4090. I assumed I could run my 4 monitors as well as a moderate MIR project at least, since there was nothing saying that I couldnt, or even to be weary of it.

• @bcslaam said:
    It is still not clear, in any documentation, that running your monitors on the same card is possible without glitching audio. Given that the card is powerful enough.

>It is still not clear, in any documentation, that running your monitors on the same card is possible without glitching audio. Given that the card is powerful enough.

I just saw this question in the other thread and replied. It should work smoothly but really depends on the case. We have confirmed tests of 100+ instruments with Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 (12 channel) output and it worked well for even single GPU setup for both operating systems. However, Mac OS X was quite a bit more stable (for M1 Pro and more powerful setups).

For RTX 4090, you definitely can now today! Do you have another, embedded GPU in your CPU? e.g. AMD APU or Intel CPU with Irix or UHD graphics? If yes, then, you can assign any graphics works on the embedded GPU and have RTX 4090 (or any other GPU) purely dedicated to GPU AUDIO, and this way, you can guarantee smooth work. But this is just an advanced tip, you can also proceed with a single GPU setup for Windows.

• And thanks for all the comments you commit, we do appreciate it and we'll collect all the info and update our FAQ / guidelines based on your experience and other people!

• last edited
    last edited

@Sasha-T said:

For RTX 4090, you definitely can now today! Do you have another, embedded GPU in your CPU? e.g. AMD APU or Intel CPU with Irix or UHD graphics? If yes, then, you can assign any graphics works on the embedded GPU and have RTX 4090 (or any other GPU) purely dedicated to GPU AUDIO, and this way, you can guarantee smooth work. But this is just an advanced tip, you can also proceed with a single GPU setup for Windows.

I do have my old AMD RX580 which can go in the slot my UAD card is in. So, reading between the lines here, it is reccommended to run Powerhouse on a dedicated headless card. Especially if you run 2 or more monitors, and especially if you are on windows.

Perhaps there are a few things that the Powerhouse documentation needs to address so you dont snag more people like me who have spent thousands based on the little info available and want to keep using AMD cards in their DAW.

1. AMD cards give better latency for VSTi and are generally less disruptive for dedicated DAW machines. As has been discussed on many threads. Thus your continued efforts to get the current RX7000 series up and running will be appreciated.
    2. Most people are going to assume they can run their monitors on the same card.
    3. There would be many potential users of silicon Macs that run at least 2 monitors. And of course many windows users with multiple monitors. The documentation needs to be up front and clear that running monitors on the card will affect performance and perhaps even stability. A few case scenarios is needed so we know were we're at with this.
    4. CPU lanes in motherboards these days are scarce and running two video cards will be a drag for many people. Will bifurcation also effect performance and stability? ie Running two video cards will almost certainly cause them to both run at 8x each on the PCIe slot.

• Hi @bcslaam. Thanks for the feedback, we'll use this for our future updates of FAQ and guidelines!

Regarding your setup case, I replied in DM.