Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,871 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,944 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• Synchron-ised Saxes multiple Instruments

Hello,

I've been using the Synchroized Saxes for a while now (and before that the VI version) and love it. The sound is great.

I have a quick question that I'm sure someone out there will be able to answer easily. If I have two or more of the same instrument playing in unison, for example Alto Saxes, they all sound the same, so in plyback it sounds like one instrument. How can I make them slightly different so as to give the sound of multiple altos playing together.

Thanks in advance

Peter

• Hello Peter

You can have one of the saxophones play 1-2 semitones lower (or higher) on the midi side and raise (higher) it by the same number of semitones on the audio side, e.g. using the pitch controller or an audio effect.

The saxophone plays another sample for the same tone as befor with this trick. This is why the voices now sound different, especially when they play the same note.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether the saxophone library (Synchronized) is sampled in semitones. If so, it is enough to play just one semitone differently on the midi side. Otherwise you need to detune the melody 2 semitones.

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Hello Beat,

Thanks for that, I'll try it and see how it sounds.

Thanks

Peter

@Beat-Kaufmann said:

Hello Peter

You can have one of the saxophones play 1-2 semitones lower (or higher) on the midi side and raise (higher) it by the same number of semitones on the audio side, e.g. using the pitch controller or an audio effect.

The saxophone plays another sample for the same tone as befor with this trick. This is why the voices now sound different, especially when they play the same note.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether the saxophone library (Synchronized) is sampled in semitones. If so, it is enough to play just one semitone differently on the midi side. Otherwise you need to detune the melody 2 semitones.

Beat

• Peter did you ever work out whether the Saxes were sampled in tones or semitones?

Just a beginner