Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• Feature Request: Mute Simulation

Hi,

I like to work a lot with brass mutes that are not usually available for samples. I use Sordina for this, which is basically an EQ plugin that has presets for different mutes. Instead of using Sordina, there are various EQ presets floating around out there, like ones Aaron Venture made for FabFilter Pro Q2 which work quite well.

The problem with using these solutions is in order to use them with VSL brass, I would have to set up a bunch of different copies of the same instrument, one for each type of mute that might be used, and place the EQ or Sordina plugin as an audio insert on the bus. This means a whole bunch of extra copies of the instrument loaded that might not ever be used if you aren't using that instrument in the piece.

I was thinking a nicer way of doing this might be if there could be an effect plugin in Synchron player itself, basically an EQ with enough bands to simulate a mute, combined with some kind of presets feature where different presets could be created to simulate various mutes. Then, if there was the ability to assign a MIDI CC to change what EQ preset is in use, you could use this CC to switch between various mutes in the same patch without having to load up multiple copies on multiple channels.

The mute simulation could also be useful for strings, for smaller ensembles like Elite Strings that currently don't have a con sordino option.

It was just an idea that I had, I don't know what others think, but I think it would be very useful.

Thanks!

• @mducharme said:
    I use Sordina for this

I've not been using it for a while, but can't Sordina be remotely controlled via CCs? You should be able to enable/disable it, and choose a different preset/mute on the same track.

Paolo

• last edited
    last edited

That would be perfect if it could be controlled by CC's, I figured it probably wouldn't be able to do that as it is an effects plugin, that it would probably only support VST automation (and I didn't see anything about CC's the manual). I use Dorico with all instruments hosted in VE Pro. Dorico doesn't support VST automation, only CC's, so I have to set up multiple tracks if I can't do this with CC's.

@PaoloT said:
    @mducharme said:
    I use Sordina for this

I've not been using it for a while, but can't Sordina be remotely controlled via CCs? You should be able to enable/disable it, and choose a different preset/mute on the same track.

Paolo