Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,995 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,969 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• A Question about the limitations of MIR Pro 3D 24

I understand that the 24 version can only have 24 DAW tracks using it.

My question is whether it is possible to create more than 24 'roles' in a setup ie say make a DAW template with 40-50 DAW tracks each track 'roled' into an instance of VIR 3D 24 and be able position them all with the restriction only applying to how many can be active at the same time.

Or does the restriction apply once you attempt to position the 25th?

Just a beginner
  • Good question! 😊 I have to admit that I've never tried to create a 25th Role with the 24-track version myself, but I don't know of any intended limitation in this regard.

IOW: As long as you do not plan to use more than 24 active instances of MIR 3D, you should be able to create as many Roles as you like.

... but I'll ask our developers, just to be absolutely sure!

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks for your prompt response. BTW as a newbie it would be really nice to have some more detail in the manual/video of how to go from DAW track to a positioned 'Role'.

Just a beginner
  • last edited
    last edited

@rAC said:

Thanks for your prompt response. BTW as a newbie it would be really nice to have some more detail in the manual/video of how to go from DAW track to a positioned 'Role'.

Roles are only available within MIR 3D, and their creation and application is not possible by means of MIDI Program Change or the like (if this is what you're after).

There is a section in the manual covering their use, and I've created an unofficial Quick'n'Dirty screencast myself, which shows the actual workflow:

HTH,

• PS: It's like I wrote. Konrad Glas from VSL's software development team answered:

"Nothing speaks against creating as many Roles as you want. The only thing that matters is that there will be never more than 24 instruments visible/connected in the server application. It seems the user knows what s/he is doing."

😊

• @Dietz Thanks for clarifying. I suspect your software development team have a erroneous opinion of my competence and capabilities 🤣

Just a beginner
  • PS watched the Quick 'n' Dirty video - very helpful - I think I had nearly got there by clueless playing around. Thank you for posting it here.

Just a beginner
  • I have now bypasssed any issue about this by buying the full version😬

Just a beginner
  • @rAC said:

I have now bypasssed any issue about this by buying the full version😬

😄 A reasonable decision.

Enjoy MIR 3D (full)! 😉

• Now I have to save for the room packs I want though.

Just a beginner
  • @Dietz has there been any thought given to role creation as part of the download of MIR 3D Pro or part of the room packs, for say Synchron Prime's instruments or any other VSL libraries?

Just a beginner
  • last edited
    last edited

@rAC said:

@Dietz has there been any thought given to role creation as part of the download of MIR 3D Pro or part of the room packs, for say Synchron Prime's instruments or any other VSL libraries?

For those Venues where it makes sense, there are actually hand-crafted Roles for all (!) Vienna Instruments. The product, formerly known as "MIRx", was already available in legacy Vienna MIR Pro as "MIRx Mode" and covers six (or actually seven) halls. You can find them under the heading "Vienna Standards" in the Preset Manager of MIR 3D. For all smaller Venues it is hardly effective to try to cram 400+ instruments on a stage of (say) 4 x 5 meters in a meaningful way. ;-D

These settings also make sense for VSL's Synchron-ized Collections as soon as you switch off all of the player's internal effects (... a separate mixer preset takes care of this task). Due to the underlying concept, however, the actual Synchron Instruments are not the ideal "food" for MIR, so there are no factory settings for them either.