Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,850 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,935 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 4 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• SYzd Solo Strings - Breaks in timbre and dynamics

last edited
    last edited

Dear forists,

when working with the SYzd Solo Strings, I noticed that melodic lines had strange “breaks” in timbre and dynamics.

Two examples: Score || Violin | Violoncello

I can compensate for this to some extent through CC automation or articulation changes (the entire piece can be heard here), but I would prefer it if it didn't happen at all.

Could you tell me if and how this can be avoided?

Best regards

Jürgen

--

ORIGINAL VERSION:

Werte Foristen,

bei der Arbeit mit den SYzd Solo Strings fiel mir auf, dass melodische Linien merkwürdige „Brüche“ in Klangfarbe und Dynamik aufweisen.

Hierzu zwei Beispiele: siehe oben!

Durch CC-Automation bzw. Artikulations-Änderungen lässt ich dies zwar einigermaßen ausgleichen (das vollständige Stück ist oben verlinkt), lieber wäre es mir allerdings, wenn es erst gar nicht dazu käme.

Können Sie | Könnt ihr mir sagen, ob und wie sich das vermeiden lässt?

Beste Grüße

Jürgen

Best regards, Jürgen
  • Hello Jürgen!

It seems that you are only using Sustains. Did you try it with Legato yet?

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hello Andi,

thanks for the tip!

The violin sounds much more homogeneous with “legato” articulation, but the cello only sounds slightly.

What is the cause of this?

And why are these breaks even stronger with “sustain” articulation?

Best regards

Jürgen

--

ORIGINAL VERSION:

Hallo Andi,

danke für den Tipp!

Die Violine klingt mit „Legato“-Artikulation deutlich homogener, das Cello allerdings nur geringfügig.

Was ist denn die Ursache dafür?

Und weshalb sind diese Brüche bei „Sustain“-Artikulation noch stärker?

Gruß

Jürgen

Best regards, Jürgen
  • last edited
    last edited

Hello,

It's funny for me to read this brand new thread because I've just encountered exactly the same kind of problem with the first violin of my new Boccherini :

In the Allegretto moderato the first violin's flight (SP Basic Short Notes, Spiccato) which starts at 03:40 starts well but ends with a thin sound close to a harmonic! In the meantime, I found the solution: I had to increase the value of the CC2 Vel.XF fader! I even found another solution: having entered the notes on the MIDI keyboard, they weren't all the same length, and the shortest ones gave that thin sound.

In the Minuetto Allegro at 08:09, Boccherini calls for 3 staccato notes. I chose the "Spiccato" articulation but I can do what I want, the first quarter note is staccato but not the next two (in an older version, not in this video)! I find this absolutely incomprehensible.
    Here again I have a solution: change the value of the CC1 Vel. XF FADER.

Generally speaking, my biggest problem remains vibrato, which I often find too tight, too fast. Now, having seen the Paul’s tutorial (Synchron Player Tutorial 03 Legato -26 VelXF Preset), I solve the problem by choosing Sustain-VibratoXFade and acting on CC1.

So I understand more and more the importance of XF. It's never too late.............

Greetings

Jacques

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Jacques,

thank you for your contribution and for the Boccherini String Quartet.

I have now reworked the Purcell song once again with “sustain” articulation (which I like better on this piece than the “legato” articulation) and have put some effort into creating the most uniform melodic lines possible in the four string parts bring to:

- see screenshots
    - and audio

To make the difference clear, I have compared two excerpts:

- Violin, unedited (without CC automation)
    - Violin, edited (with CC automation)

- Violoncello, unedited (without CC automation)
    - Violoncello, edited (with CC automation)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong (I'm grateful for any further advice), but this means the work process takes considerably longer, even with simple melodies.

Best regards

Jürgen

PS: Could you please post a link to Paul’s tutorial “Synchron Player Tutorial 03 Legato -26 VelXF Preset”?

PPS: Regarding the Boccherini SQ, I hope, you don't mind me saying: Did you want that extreme stereo panorama?

--

ORIGINAL VERSION:

Hallo Jacques,

danke für Ihren Beitrag und für das Boccherini-Streichquartett.

Ich habe den Purcell-Song nun ein weiteres Mal mit „Sustain“-Artikulation überarbeitet (die mir bei diesem Stück besser gefällt als die „legato“-Artikulation) und dabei einige Mühe aufgewandt, um möglichst einheitliche melodische Linien in die vier Streicher-Parts zu bringen:

- siehe Screenshots
    - und Audio

Um den Unterschied zu verdeutlichen, habe ich jeweils zwei Ausschnitte gegenübergestellt:

- Violine, unbearbeitet (ohne CC-Automation)
    - Violine, bearbeitet (mit CC-Automation)

- Violoncello, unbearbeitet (ohne CC-Automation)
    - Violoncello, bearbeitet (mit CC-Automation)

Vielleicht mache ich ja etwas falsch (ich bin für jeden weiteren Hinweis dankbar), aber der Arbeitsprozess dauert dadurch selbst bei schlichten Melodien erheblich länger.

Beste Grüße

Jürgen

PS: Könnten Sie bitte einen Link posten zu Pauls Tutorial „Synchron Player Tutorial 03 Legato -26 VelXF Preset“?

PPS: Zum Boccherini-SQ, wenn Sie mir die Bemerkung gestatten: Wollten Sie dieses extreme Stereo-Panorama?

Best regards, Jürgen
  • @rajucu said:

Hello Jacques,

thank you for your contribution and for the Boccherini String Quartet.

I have now reworked the Purcell song once again with “sustain” articulation (which I like better on this piece than the “legato” articulation) and have put some effort into creating the most uniform melodic lines possible in the four string parts bring to:

- see screenshots
    - and audio

To make the difference clear, I have compared two excerpts:

- Violin, unedited (without CC automation)
    - Violin, edited (with CC automation)

- Violoncello, unedited (without CC automation)
    - Violoncello, edited (with CC automation)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong (I'm grateful for any further advice), but this means the work process takes considerably longer, even with simple melodies.

Best regards

Jürgen

PS: Could you please post a link to Paul’s tutorial “Synchron Player Tutorial 03 Legato -26 VelXF Preset”?

PPS: Regarding the Boccherini SQ, I hope, you don't mind me saying: Did you want that extreme stereo panorama?

--

ORIGINAL VERSION:

Hallo Jacques,

danke für Ihren Beitrag und für das Boccherini-Streichquartett.

Ich habe den Purcell-Song nun ein weiteres Mal mit „Sustain“-Artikulation überarbeitet (die mir bei diesem Stück besser gefällt als die „legato“-Artikulation) und dabei einige Mühe aufgewandt, um möglichst einheitliche melodische Linien in die vier Streicher-Parts zu bringen:

- siehe Screenshots
    - und Audio

Um den Unterschied zu verdeutlichen, habe ich jeweils zwei Ausschnitte gegenübergestellt:

- Violine, unbearbeitet (ohne CC-Automation)
    - Violine, bearbeitet (mit CC-Automation)

- Violoncello, unbearbeitet (ohne CC-Automation)
    - Violoncello, bearbeitet (mit CC-Automation)

Vielleicht mache ich ja etwas falsch (ich bin für jeden weiteren Hinweis dankbar), aber der Arbeitsprozess dauert dadurch selbst bei schlichten Melodien erheblich länger.

Beste Grüße

Jürgen

PS: Könnten Sie bitte einen Link posten zu Pauls Tutorial „Synchron Player Tutorial 03 Legato -26 VelXF Preset“?

PPS: Zum Boccherini-SQ, wenn Sie mir die Bemerkung gestatten: Wollten Sie dieses extreme Stereo-Panorama?

Hallo Jürgen,

Thanks for your comment. You haven't worked for nothing, I find that the versions with automation sound much better. Here is the link to Paul's video (the "26" is a mistake):

I'm very grateful for any feedback. It's one of the reasons I post in this musicians' forum. You're quite right to draw my attention to the problem of the PAN, which is, incidentally, crucial. This extreme panning is not really what I'm looking for. I've listened to some of my Boccherini discs, and there are a lot of differences. The most extreme is the recording of the quartets by Ensemble Symposium (2016). In the Petersen Quartet recording (1993) (I've always considered the Petersen recordings to be the best of all my Boccherini recordings), the quartet is right in the center, in front of you, which corresponds to reality.

Anyway, I think I made the mistake of setting the PAN only on the Ableton Live tracks instead of in the Synchron Player itself. (Man lernt nie aus!)

Best regards

Jacques

• last edited
    last edited

Bonjour Jacques,

merci beaucoup également: pour la vidéo «YouTube» et pour votre commentaire sur mon arrangement Purcell.

(Comme je ne parle qu'un peu français, il vaut mieux passer à l'anglais ou à l'allemand.)

As far as the design of the stereo panorama is concerned, I received valuable suggestions from this video by Beat Kaufmann:

Since then I have mostly used an M/S panner and am very satisfied with the result.

However, I will probably continue to work on the „SYzd Solo Strings“ - in the hope of achieving my desired result in a less complicated way.

Best regards

Jürgen

__

Hallo Jacques,

gleichfalls vielen Dank: für das „YouTube“-Video und für Ihren Kommentar zu meinem Purcell-Arrangement.

(Da ich kaum Französisch spreche, wechsle ich jetzt besser auf Englisch bzw. Deutsch.)

Was die Gestaltung des Stereo-Panoramas anbelangt, so habe ich durch dieses Video von Beat Kaufmann wertvolle Anregungen erhalten:

(siehe oben)

Ich nutze seither meist einen M/S-Panner und bin mit dem Ergebnis sehr zufrieden.

Mit den „Solo Strings“ hingegen werde ich mich wohl weiterhin beschäftigen – in der Hoffnung, auf einem weniger umständlichen Weg zu meinem gewünschten Ergebnis zu gelangen.

Viele Grüße

Jürgen

Best regards, Jürgen
  • Hallo Jürgen,

Thank you very much for this very informative video. I have already experimented with the POWER PAN. Very cool. Now I understand why I had so many problems with dynamics using only Ableton panning!
    One day, perhaps, I'll go and dig into my MELDA plugins, but there's such a science behind it............... These days, it's as frustrating for users as it is for developers, I think, that we only use a tiny fraction of the possibilities of plugins, so rich are they. This is, of course, the case with Vienna products, which I'm discovering inch by inch.

Best regards

Jacques