Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,356 users have contributed to 42,454 threads and 255,811 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

  • Can we ask for a new steinway recording?

    hi everyone.

    i've been thinking about this a lot and saw it in some other forums that some people (so many) talked about how much they want a new steinway from vsl, a warmer n more intimate sounding one - so i thought it'll be great if we can have that giant hamburg steinway d-274 in stage B as a new library, just think about it

    with so many experiences that vsl achieved while sampling other pianos, the big dynamic range and timbral variations that steinway offers, and that small stage that's warmer and less ambient

    it can be the best for lots of users

     


  • Hello everyone,

    Even if I think that with all the customization you can do on the Stage A D-274 to make it intimate, as a pianist, I wouldn't be against such an idea.
    Like, "have your Steinway Deutsche Gramofon sound ready out of the box" ?


    Hello my friends and welcome back, Vincent here | Composer for film and media | VSL Content Creator
  • I fully endorse this idea.  The D-274 record on stage A sounds great, but as someone who also has the 280VC and Bluthner, I think that the smaller stage B venue allows for a much more immediate and intimiate experience, almost like having the piano in the room with you. 

    And while the 280VC is a very nice instrument, it also has a very particular sound profile that emphasizes crispness and clarity over warmth and tonal variety.  

    I think that the combination of the more versatile Steinway sound with the added intimacy of stage B would be an almost ideal combination, and provide a suffciently distinct experience to justify a seperate product.   


  • i love how your reply just completed my meaning of having this instrument... yea it sounds like an ideal combonation and the moment you start thinking about it.. you cant ignore it anymore

    the 280vc is a perfect instrument of course but i know how many people just LOVE the steinway sound and recording that instrument in the stage b can be the finest piano vi ever

    thnks for your supportšŸ˜‰

    @jdg78 said:

    I fully endorse this idea.  The D-274 record on stage A sounds great, but as someone who also has the 280VC and Bluthner, I think that the smaller stage B venue allows for a much more immediate and intimiate experience, almost like having the piano in the room with you. 


    And while the 280VC is a very nice instrument, it also has a very particular sound profile that emphasizes crispness and clarity over warmth and tonal variety.  


    I think that the combination of the more versatile Steinway sound with the added intimacy of stage B would be an almost ideal combination, and provide a suffciently distinct experience to justify a seperate product.   

     

    @jdg78 said:

    I fully endorse this idea.  The D-274 record on stage A sounds great, but as someone who also has the 280VC and Bluthner, I think that the smaller stage B venue allows for a much more immediate and intimiate experience, almost like having the piano in the room with you. 


    And while the 280VC is a very nice instrument, it also has a very particular sound profile that emphasizes crispness and clarity over warmth and tonal variety.  


    I think that the combination of the more versatile Steinway sound with the added intimacy of stage B would be an almost ideal combination, and provide a suffciently distinct experience to justify a seperate product.   


  • of course you can make any of stage a pianos sound tight and intimate but that's not the case only

    in stage b pianos, you can immediately hear the roundness and the fundemental characters and you can even feel the piano vibrating in front of you, i can hear the hammer's attack with the 280vc within the actual samples (without any mechanical noise added)

    i'm not dare to say you "can't" hear them with the stage A ones but there's a significant difference - lots of users want to feel like they're in their own living room with the piano and that's what i'm talking aboutšŸ˜Š

     

    @VTohier-Composer said:

    Hello everyone,

    Even if I think that with all the customization you can do on the Stage A D-274 to make it intimate, as a pianist, I wouldn't be against such an idea.
    Like, "have your Steinway Deutsche Gramofon sound ready out of the box" ?


  • I have heard that the European "taste" in voicing a piano is for a bright, more crystalline sound, and that the American "taste" in voicing a piano leans towards a warmer sound that is not brittle. If this is true, the way that the piano is voiced may be at least as important as the choice of room in which it is recorded.


    Large Vienna Library all on SSD, Protools/Carbon on M1 MacBook Pro, OSX Monterey 12.7, Steinway D, Rhodes Mk8-FX, Osmose, Moog One, Trigon 6-DT, OB-X8, Prophet 10 rev4, OB-6-DT, Kawai VPC-1
  • last edited
    last edited

    I'm not sold on the idea. The paino will still have the same fundemental tone regardless of its recording location. If someone really likes the current D-274 sound I can see the desire for a different variation of it, but for those who are looking for a warmer (American Steinway sound) stage B alone wouldn't do it. 

    How many people who currently own the D-274 (like me) would buy it again just because it was recorded in a different soundstage? Not me. However, I would definetly consider buying  a new Steinway concert grand sample library if it had an entirely different tonal character (warmer). I own all the VSL Bosendorfer grands becasue they are all different and they all sound different. 

     

    God Bless,

    David


    F308, D-274, 280VC, Yamaha CFX, Bƶsendorfer Imperial, Vienna Imperial
  • if they can sample an NY steinway it'll be beyond dreams for me

    i love the warm and rounded tone of american steinways

    thanks for sharing - hope they see this

    @strytten said:

    I have heard that the European "taste" in voicing a piano is for a bright, more crystalline sound, and that the American "taste" in voicing a piano leans towards a warmer sound that is not brittle. If this is true, the way that the piano is voiced may be at least as important as the choice of room in which it is recorded.


  • that was actually my first opinion and i still think it'll be the best choise (ny steinway)

    i wish they see your valeable opinions and make it happen

    thnks david

    @David-B said:

    I'm not sold on the idea. The paino will still have the same fundemental tone regardless of its recording location. If someone really likes the current D-274 sound I can see the desire for a different variation of it, but for those who are looking for a warmer (American Steinway sound) stage B alone wouldn't do it. 


    How many people who currently own the D-274 (like me) would buy it again just because it was recorded in a different soundstage? Not me. However, I would definetly consider buying  a new Steinway concert grand sample library if it had an entirely different tonal character (warmer). I own all the VSL Bosendorfer grands becasue they are all different and they all sound different. 


     


    God Bless,


    David


  • @strytten said:
    
    
    Of course, these are just general trends. There are many warm-sounding European pianos, and there are many bright-sounding American pianos. However, in general, it can be said that European and American tastes in piano sound differ.
     
     
     
     

  • last edited
    last edited

    I would love another piano like Vienna Imperial with the same pedal options (the 2SUS button for repedalling) and una corda samples instead of all the mic positions. Another Steinway would be great, or maybe a BlĆ¼thner or a Bechstein.


  • Us Bƶsendorfer players are free to choose, between the one in Synchon Stage A and the one in the Silent Stageā€¦ šŸ˜

    Paolo


  • Please do a New York Steinway B on Stage B! There's so many orchestral oriented libraries out there, but none that target a broader range of musical genres in the quality and flexibility that the VSL Synchrons provide.


  • I would love to buy a VSL Steinway D on Stage B. I have the VSL Concert D-274 on Stage A, and no matter what I try - the sound has just too much of 'room' in it. I would prefer a much smaller, initiate, 'Player' feeling Steinway D. Hope this happens one day!

    Osho


  • Hi @oshogg

    Just an idea - but maybe what bothers you is not so much the "room" - but the release sample which comes from the instrument itself. You can change the value of "RS Level" on the Edit tab of the Synchron Pianos Player. Lowering it to "-inf dB" does disable the release sample sound completely.

    Best,
    Andreas


    VSL Team | Product Specialist & Media Editing
  • Thanks for the suggestion Andreas. I tried that but unfortunately it didn't help.