Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,437 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,075 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• Hushed piano flowing string tone.

Hi Folks, trying to emulate soft , bound flowing notes as in the first 10 seconds of this example of the Boccanegra overture is a challenge for me. Could anyone suggest an articulation and the ideal synchron player settings. Obviously mod and expression play a role but it is the beautiful hushed string tone that I am after, it is not sordino. I have licenses for all the vsl string libraries

Thanks

Laurence

• Hi Laurence,

Try using the lowest dynamics with the Vel. XF. To make the sound more hushed, you can reduce the high frequencies with the Timbre Adjust controller. This should work with any library. Additionally, you can use the EQ inside the Synchron player or increase a microphone volume, which has a similar sound (like the Ribbon microphone).

Best,

Erik

Support Team | VSL Content Creator
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi Erik, thank you very much, your suggestion was spot on and gave the exact color I was looking for. 

@Erisno said:

Hi Laurence,

Try using the lowest dynamics with the Vel. XF. To make the sound more hushed, you can reduce the high frequencies with the Timbre Adjust controller. This should work with any library. Additionally, you can use the EQ inside the Synchron player or increase a microphone volume, which has a similar sound (like the Ribbon microphone).

Best,

Erik