Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,910 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,946 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Jean Sibelius dynamics - Finnish style

In case some readers might have gotten the idea that I'm all for minimising dynamic range, let me try to redress that misconception.

The Intermezzo in Sibelius' Karelia Suite is, I find, best understood as the four seasons as felt by Finns in Finland. For this understanding I'm indebted to my partner - Finland born and raised - who has conveyed to me over many years the full gamut of Suomalaiset tunteet (although the interpretation of this piece as the four seasons is mine, and with which she agrees).

Dynamics and pace are crucial in rendering this piece; they must express a year-long emotional narrative. Most folks who live in far northern latitudes will probably also get it without effort - e.g. the long and stoical march through winter, the huge and most welcome and relieving promise of Spring, then the gloriously ferocious busy-ness with which Mother Nature gets everything done in the all-too-short Summer, etc, etc.

I searched and searched for a great and emotionally true rendition of this piece, but time and time again was disappointed. For example, Karajan and the Berliner Phil belaboured the slow passages, and various other fine orchestras haven't quite expressed the changes of seasonal pace profoundly enough - including the Wiener Phil.

But then I found this one, recorded in 1998 by the Tampere Filharmonia of Finland, conducted by Tuomas Ollila (also Finnish): 

Jean Sebelius - Karelia - Intermezzo I [YouTube]

(I'd suggest not paying too much attention to the video - it's ok but not really apposite accompaniment for a four-season musical narrative.)

Turn your volume way up, close your eyes, and let yourself get right into into it!

• BenB Ben moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on