Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,901 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,945 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• VI pro cc 2 Velocity XFade question

I have a question about CC2 Velocity-Xfade in the VI pro player - does it override the given note velocity value ?

For example, in my 25S VC-8 legato cello patch, the two velocity layers are 0-88p and 89-127f. Say I have a legato cello line in which all the note velocities are 75. If I then enter a CC2 velocity-xfade crescendo curve that moves over the 88/89 boundary, does the xfade override my chosen velocity of 75 to access the the forte samples as the curve climbs?

I have tried doing a test just to see what it sounds like, which is fine,  but I notice in the top left corner of the VI player the velocity histogram, which the manual calls the received velocity,  stays in the same range as my chosen value. 

So when my xfade curve climbs over the 88/89 boundary, is it playing back from the 89-127 samples rather than the 0-88 samples, which is what it sounds like?

• The simple answer is yes. If VelXF is switched on individual note velocities are ignored. However you can set things up differently. The newer Synchron Player has a lot of presets where VelXF is on for long-type notes but off for shorter ones (spicc, stacc. det, etc.) I can't remember if the Vienna Instruments Pro player has presets like those but you can certainly create them. You can also switch VelXF on and off using a CC (CC28 by default). So, for instance, say you've got a passage with four bars of sustained notes followed by four bars of staccato... You can have the first four bars responding to VelXF then use CC28 to turn it off for the next four, so that the staccato notes will be at the velocities at which you played them.

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • If your legato cello line has note velocities consistently set to 75, and your CC2 is set to a crescendo that climbs over the 88/89 boundary, the Velocity-Xfade might switch to the forte samples as the CC2 value increases.

The velocity histogram in the VI player may not directly reflect the crossfade behavior. It might show the incoming note velocities (75 in your case) rather than the effective velocities after the crossfade.