Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,462 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,080 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• best MIR Room for Big Fanfare sound close miked

Hello there,

I'm a big fan of Mir Pro, actually an indispensable tool.

Now I've recorded a fanfare, 8 musicians, Schoeps close miked, 1 musicians at once, so I've a super detailed dry mono tracks. Actually I have only the Synchron stage that is fantastic for a lot of applications with his stunning realism but in this case is difficult to obtain a big stage that sounds realistic without giving "too much" room. Or I'm unable to tweak correctly the software. Maybe another venue is more suitable for this use?.

Thanks a lot

Greetings

Bat

• Hi Bat,

glad to hear that you like MIR 3D - thanks for the friendly words! :-)

For the typical epic brass fanfare, the foyer of the Vienna Konzerthaus would be my first choice. You can literally choose any relation between instrument and microphone, from 1m on the same level up to about 35 meters distance two floors higher :-)

The Festspielhaus Salzburg - Böhm Saal would be a close second, especially if you choose the balcony positions at the "stone end" of the hall.

If I have misunderstood your question and you are actually looking for a huge room without too much reverb, then there is only one, but a very obvious choice: Festspielhaus Salzburg - Großes Haus (i.e. the Great Hall of the famed Salzburg festival theatre). This space is really incredible, and I dare to say that we captured it really well. 8-)

Still too much reverb? Then there's a less obvious selection that could do the trick: Hall Two of The Sage Gateshead. While being renown as a typical chamber music venue, I'm using it as an additional virtual 3D space for the mix of a quite famous 7-piece brass ensemble right now that has been close-miked, too. Everybody loves the results I'm able to achieve that way. 8-) 

HTH!

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Dietz,

Many thanks, I'm going to download the demos.

Long live MIR 3D!

Have a great mix. All the best

Bat

• Hi Dietz,

What will be your recommandation for a full orchestra, big choir, pop drums, guitares and synth ?

Thanks

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • @Cyril Blanc said in [best MIR Room for Big Fanfare sound close miked](/post/317297):

Hi Dietz,

What will be your recommandation for a full orchestra, big choir, pop drums, guitares and synth ?

Very likely more than one Venue. Drums and guitars won't work in an orchestral space. In case of synths it depends a lot on the sound and its function.

E.g: Orchestra: SSV Wide

Choir: SSV Wide + algorithmic reverb, or Monastery Church Pernegg

Pop drums + guitars: Studio Weiler Live Room (heavily distorted guitars might sound even better in Studio Weiler Stone Room, instead).

Synths: .... ? ... maybe Festspielhaus Salzburg Boehm Saal (in case you need "epic" space).

HTH,

• Hello Dietz

Thank you very much for your answer, it looks very complicated;

I guess that SSV = Synchron Stage Vienna 

At the moment this is the venue I defined (see attachement)

As I am a beginner with MIR PRO 3D I do not know all the tricks.

You tell me to use different venue, can you play all the venue at the same time with VI instruments and a few audio tracks ?

Thanks again

Kind regards

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • @Cyril Blanc said in [best MIR Room for Big Fanfare sound close miked](/post/317307):

You tell me to use different venue, can you play all the venue at the same time with VI instruments and a few audio tracks ?

Just click the "+"-sign besides the active Venue Tab to create a new one. Use the Instrument List on the left to move Icons between tabs, or use the Venue-pull down on top of the Instrument Assignment panel (see screenshot).

Kind regards,