Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,028 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,971 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• WINNERS! Duality Strings Contest with Guy Bacos - Demo Licenses available!

last edited
    last edited

Hi everybody, 

This one will be fun for everybody who's interested in our Synchron Duality Strings!

Get your 30-day demo license and explore this amazing library. We have just extended the introductory offer to August 15th, so that leaves you enough time to finish Guy's composition!

CONTEST VIDEO

Good luck!

Paul 

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Winner to be announced soon!

Great job everyone!

Here are my individual Duality Contest comments:

1. @StuLloyd - Great use of various articulations and good structural planning. Would like to have seen more cohesiveness through use and development of some of the original thematic material. In this way, you wouldn’t have needed to add so much new material. Overall a fun, colorful, and carefully planned composition.

2. @Hikavn - Great focus on playfulness and surprise in your composition. Would like to have heard some development of the original theme and focus on the melody to help connect with the original. Also, great orchestration at ms 37 through the ending transition. Overall, nicely crafted work.

3. @soundwelt1428 -Interesting development of the original theme and colorful additions. The rising section from ms 29-34 might have been stronger in my opinion, but what you did at ms 37 is really very lovely. Overall very nice writing.

4. @DPScores - You are adding a lot of great material but maybe using less might help to connect it to the original section in a stronger way. Very nice use of runs in your writing and the transition towards the end is both very interesting and enchanting.

5. @TonyLi66 - Very nice intro and melodic development and great use of slurs and portamento. Would like to have heard you carry on with your initial development ideas more in the later section as well, as the opening section was quite strong and effective and kept your composition connected to the original material. Keep up the great writing.

6. @f073084 - Pleasant juxtaposition of melodic and playful material in your opening section. The rising section at ms.29 could possibly be stronger though you make use of an appealing theme at ms.37. Very nice writing.

7. @bellumastrorum1 - This is very good writing and contrasting material. You did a wonderful job of writing in a similar style to the original as well as writing some very effective counter material connecting it with the original. Very skillful and effective work.

8. @paulkreter8993 - Very interesting use of harmonics, although the counter thematic material could be stronger as it loses its cohesiveness with the addition of too much new material. The ending section and transition come with exquisite writing and show a very effective connection. Keep up the great writing.

9. @aleksandersoloviev9044 - Very playful writing. Almost Prokofiev-esque with your embellishments and melodic additions though some of the writing stretches quite far away from the original style. Less material with more focus on development might be helpful.

10. @federicoaschieri - Captivating development and counterpoint writing. Would like to hear more focus on melodic development derived from the original to keep a strong connection with the original material.

11. @loicdesjardinsmusic - Delightful writing and counter material as well as new material you added towards the end and transition. Regarding presentation: The volume level is a bit low. Proper levels will always help here.

12. @seppemerlo2683 - Your writing is very creative and effective, but the mixing aspects take away from this. The Instruments are spaced very far apart in MIR Pro 3D which detracts from the writing as the instruments are not perceived in the same space  (also, Duality Strings already come with the authentic sound of that venue. Try some different settings with the available mics for a better stereo balance.

13. @stephenarcher1228 - Very enjoyable thematic development in the opening section and great writing with lovely melodies. The section from ms 29 could be a bit stronger but the ending transition is quite effective.

14. @robwatson111 – Highly entertaining rhythmic use of the col legno. Very nice development of melodies and impressive counterpoint writing. Overall excellent craftsmanship.

15. @asaadhamzy1827- Cool development theme in the opening and beautiful use of harmonics and embellishments. The middle section from ms.29 on could be strengthened to create more cohesiveness like you achieved so well in the beginning. Unfortunately, your volume level is extremely low. Proper levels will always help with your presentation.

16. @MusicalAwakening - You are bringing a lot of new material in. Maybe less new material and developing the existing theme could make this more cohesive with the original source material. Unfortunately, your volume level is extremely low. Proper levels will always help with your presentation.

17. @FSchackert - You add some fun contrasting material. Very playful writing though it does stray quite far from the original ideas presented and overall isn’t quite so cohesive. Very entertaining writing, though.

18. @AngeloBordieri – Splendid thematic development and fx additions. The overall result offers the beauty of simplicity and is quite pleasing. Listening brings a lot of satisfaction. Your writing is very strong.

19. @DiemCarpesWorkShop - Really interesting writing but it has little connection with the source material. It is as if two different pieces are glued together with the result that it lacks a musical balance. Still, your writing and approach is very interesting. Unfortunately, your volume level is extremely low. Proper levels will always help with your presentation.

20. @wayneneilson - Extraordinary entry and great thematic development! Very well-crafted writing, clever and entertaining additions. The writing skill is very impressive, and technically this is one of the best entries.

21. @DBBahnospherix-BahnAtmospherix - The writing actually steps quite far away from the source material, making the additions sound like a different work. Staying closer to derivatives of the source material would make it more cohesive overall.

22. @AndreaAmici-musicamultimedia - Exceptional entry. Very well-structured and good use of the original thematic material while adding some very expressive additional material. Stunning writing and technically one of the best.

23. @jtromburg82 - Enchanting opening thematic development but the later arpeggio section is not quite as strong; However, the ending transition is very skillfully written. Unfortunately, your volume level is a bit low. Proper levels will always help with your presentation.

24. @stenoerting8066 - The added material strays quite far from the original given themes and the writing style changes quite drastically throughout. Writing with less material might allow you to keep it more cohesive. Unfortunately, your volume level is a bit low. Proper levels will always help with your presentation.

25. @Digivolt - Quite well-crafted to support the original theme though possibly additional thematic or contrasting material could be added. Great string effects writing!

26. @mjducharme - Very nice thematic additions that support the original material very well. Some highly creative and effective string writing in there, and very well-crafted.

27. @Paolo - The level is a bit low. Proper levels will help improve your presentation. Very impressive how you scored this out and developed the original thematic material. Magnificent writing.

28. @Rudianos - Some very creative writing, though it would be great to hear some development of the thematic material. This would connect the additions in a more cohesive way.

29. @Manfred – Solid and entertaining writing and good use of thematic variations while still connecting to the original material. Interesting to hear how the sound is quite different in your mix. It seems overly bright and doesn’t really seem to fit in, especially compared with the other mixes.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi everybody, 

Here's a little feedback video we put together with some feedback from maestro Guy Bacos himself!

A huge THANKS to all participants, we're looking forward to hearing more from all of you!

BTW: How did you like the format? 

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • @Paul said in [WINNERS! Duality Strings Contest with Guy Bacos - Demo Licenses available!](/post/317280):

The format of the competition is a struck of genius. Go on with this, it’s very educative and entertaining, and a breath of fresh air. Thanks! 

However, I have a suggestion concerning the feedback part, that in my opinion didn’t work so well. I think it’s quite an arbitrary composer viewpoint on the work of other composers, of what should or should not be done, which I don’t find that interesting and kills creativity, other than annoying those who have another viewpoint. A way of fixing this issue would be having 3-4 reviews from different composers. I point out that even in a field as rigorous and precise as science multiple reviewing is standard when a work is submitted: it’s too arbitrary to be judged by one person only. In art and music this special carefulness is all the more necessary. Another, cheaper, solution would be having no feedback at all, but I’d prefer the former.

Anyway I really appreciate the originality of this first experiment and I really had fun!

• @FedericoAsc said in [WINNERS! Duality Strings Contest with Guy Bacos - Demo Licenses available!](/post/317287):

@Paul said in [WINNERS! Duality Strings Contest with Guy Bacos - Demo Licenses available!](/post/317280):

The format of the competition is a struck of genius. Go on with this, it’s very educative and entertaining, and a breath of fresh air. Thanks! 

However, I have a suggestion concerning the feedback part, that in my opinion didn’t work so well. I think it’s quite an arbitrary composer viewpoint on the work of other composers, of what should or should not be done, which I don’t find that interesting and kills creativity, other than annoying those who have another viewpoint. A way of fixing this issue would be having 3-4 reviews from different composers. I point out that even in a field as rigorous and precise as science multiple reviewing is standard when a work is submitted: it’s too arbitrary to be judged by one person only. In art and music this special carefulness is all the more necessary. Another, cheaper, solution would be having no feedback at all, but I’d prefer the former.

Anyway I really appreciate the originality of this first experiment and I really had fun!

Hi Federico,

Glad you took part of this contest. I'm sorry you had issues with the format. Keep in mind this was a friendly contest so take it with a grain of salt. At the same time, the secret of getting better at your craft is to not get too attached to your work. I also consulted someone else and we were very close with our picks. 

William,

You know I'm a fan of your music and your sense of humour. You sure that post was necessary? 

• BenB Ben moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on