Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,924 users have contributed to 42,264 threads and 254,950 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• Vienna Ensemble 7 & Dorico Pro 5

last edited
    last edited

I want to know if anyone is using VE7 and Dorico 5.

I have both and understand what VE7 is. I don't understand quite how to use VE7 in Dorico.

I'm interested because I'm orchestrating a piece with 8 percussionists, each with several different instruments, and don't know if I need to assign a Synchron Player for each of the instruments or if I can set up each percussionist set of instruments in VE7 and then assign it to the player in Dorico.

Hoping this makes sense, I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Alex

• andiA andi moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • I want to know if anyone is using VE7 and Dorico 5.@Algae592009 said:

I have both and understand what VE7 is. I don't understand quite how to use VE7 in Dorico.

I'm interested because I'm orchestrating a piece with 8 percussionists, each with several different instruments, and don't know if I need to assign a Synchron Player for each of the instruments or if I can set up each percussionist set of instruments in VE7 and then assign it to the player in Dorico.

Hoping this makes sense, I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Alex

Hi Alex,
    Good question!
    I also use a VE7 Pro server with Sibelius and it requires adding special DLLs (Vienna Ensemble Pro and Vienna Ensemble Pro Event Input) as "devices" with which to connect to the instances, ports and channels of VEP7. But I have no clue if similar dlls are required of Dorico. Has anybody replied? Have you found anything written anywhere on that subject?
    Gilles

• My experience with importing Logic XML to Dorico with VSL instrument, VSL uses VI or Synchron depending of the pref in Dorico, I do not use VE.

Normaly you have one instrumentist per track, so one VSL player per track

You can merge track if your instrumentist is playing a few percussions

You can always change instrument split or merge percussion tracks

I

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Even for using it in Sibelius you shouldn't have to do anything with DLL's.

If you did have to do something with DLL's to get it working, probably the VST2 version was installed into the wrong location and instead of re-configuring Sibelius to look in the correct location, or reinstalling it in the location Sibelius was looking, you copied the DLL files into the folder where Sibelius expected to find them.

This is a very bad approach because these DLL files will update every time you update Vienna Ensemble Pro, but VSL won't know that you copied these DLL files into the Sibelius folder and so these files will fall out of date so that essentially you start using pieces of an old Vienna Ensemble Pro version and this could start causing major problems for you later.

If you're having to do something manually with DLL files like copy them from one location to another, it is a big sign that there is a better solution to what you are trying to do.

@gilles1234 said:

Hi Alex,
    Good question!
    I also use a VE7 Pro server with Sibelius and it requires adding special DLLs (Vienna Ensemble Pro and Vienna Ensemble Pro Event Input) as "devices" with which to connect to the instances, ports and channels of VEP7. But I have no clue if similar dlls are required of Dorico. Has anybody replied? Have you found anything written anywhere on that subject?
    Gilles

• Hi. I use VEP 7 and Dorico 5. You need to assign a library to each instrument. It doesn't matter if you make a instrument set for a player. Dorico is going to assign a sound to each instrument. Here is a demo of VSL in Dorico 5 in case you are interested.

Star Wars - Main Theme & Imperial March Intro - Vienna Symphonic Library & Dorico 5 (youtube.com)

• last edited
    last edited

Artya, this Star Wars and others of your mockups on your YT channel are superb! Very well done Sir! I'm especially impressed with your splendid use of VSL's new star in the firmament - Duality Strings.

For too long I've been intending to put my Dorico to work but thus far haven't found the inspiration (or perhaps have just been avoiding the 'perspiration' of getting to grips with this big and complex notation DAW that I need to link up with Logic Pro and VEP). But now I have a sneaking feeling that your excellent work might well prove to be the spur that finally gets me properly involved with Dorico.

Many thanks to you!

• Thanks everyone for your replies. I greatly appreciate them.

For Apple Mac users: do you know if all VSL products are compatible with macOS Sonoma?

Haven't found anything in the knowledge base docs.

• Hi Algae592009!

All our products are compatible with macOS Sonoma.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

Macker, thanks for taking the time to listen to my work. I switched from Sibelius to Dorico because some of my work is transcribing from the DAW to the notation program. When I learned about Dorico and its power I wanted to try it out and see how it works.

It has its pros and cons, but I designed my own playback template and was amazed. It has taken me a long time to get to a really professional sound, but I think it has been worth it.

Let me share with you the single I just released. It's made 100% with Dorico 5 and VSL. In the walkthrough I show some sections of the score, the patches and the libraries I'm using. 🙌

@Macker said:

Artya, this Star Wars and others of your mockups on your YT channel are superb! Very well done Sir! I'm especially impressed with your splendid use of VSL's new star in the firmament - Duality Strings.

For too long I've been intending to put my Dorico to work but thus far haven't found the inspiration (or perhaps have just been avoiding the 'perspiration' of getting to grips with this big and complex notation DAW that I need to link up with Logic Pro and VEP). But now I have a sneaking feeling that your excellent work might well prove to be the spur that finally gets me properly involved with Dorico.

Many thanks to you!