Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,906 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,946 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• Vienna Ensemble 7 + Finale: Note input and playback delay

Hello everybody,

I am using Finale, latest version, for composition, and VSL with Vienna Ensemble 7, often with several instances of Vienna Synchron Player loaded in for example for Stringquartet (4 Vienna Synchron Players active, one per instrument).

Problem:
    Whenever I use Vienna Ensemble 7 for more than one instrument or when I use two players (e.g. two pianos played over two Vienna Synchron Pianos player without Vienna Ensemble 7), I'm getting a delay between the click that puts the note in the system in finale and the playback sound of that instrument. Delay is about 1 second or more. You can imagine how difficult it is to keep your train of thought when you have this delay between writing and hearing what you wrote.

The only time note input and playback are kind of synchronous is when there is only one instrument used in a single player.

I have read about plugin latency in Vienna Ensemble, but I don't know, if that actually changes anything. For Vienna Ensemble there is a single checkbox in the preferences > Service > Instances > Enable Plugin Latency Compensation. It doesn't change anything, and I do not have any other option I can see right now.

One idea I've had was that I might need Vienna Ensemble Pro to manually change values for Plugin Latency (if possible), but I don't know that either.

Thank you very much in advance

Kind regards

• Hello Max F.!

Three things come to my mind.

- If you are working on a Windows computer, make sure that you use the ASIO drivers of your audio device in Finale. Other drivers will bring poor performance and lots of latency.

- For live note input, a small buffer size in your audio driver settings will help. This will reduce latency, but will need more CPU performance.

- In the Vienna Ensemble plugin interface you can add buffers to enhance the performance. This will add latency though. So if you only have two instruments in Vienna Ensemble, you could set the additional buffers to "None".

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • andiA andi moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on