Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,910 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,946 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Finale 27 users of VSL Libraries?

I'm trying to figure out which notation program affords greater peace of mind when using VSL libraries. Moving recently from eLicenser to iLok, the Keyswitch Dump stopped working on my 2014.5. Previously, I had already stopped trying to use the HP Preferences for my VSL SE1 due to persistent problems (with dynamics, etc) I was unable to satisfactorily solve. I'll soon be upgrading to Synchronized SE1 as a first step of enlarging VSL libraries. Afterwards, I'm inclined to cross-grade to Dorico 5 Pro rather than upgrading to Finale 27.

So, I would appreciate hearing about your experiences: has anybody had experiences with VSL's "Finale Human Playback Preferences for Synchronized Special Editions" or "Finale 25-27 Keyswitch Dump for All VSL Libraries"?

Any users enjoying established smooth and stable operation in Finale 27 with VSL Special Editions, Synchronized ones or not?

Reha

• Hello Reha!

Finale 2014.5 can no longer be supported from our side.

Our keyswitch dump file and Human Playback Preferences work with Finale 25-27.

We have settings for the following notation programs for SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions: Finale, Sibelius, Dorico.

If you have any particular problems or questions, you can always reach out at support@vsl.co.at.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • How could the Keyswitch Dump be effected by the the change to iLok?

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • Thanks for the explanation Andi! I'm not seeking to use VSL in Finale 2014 anymore. So, what I said about 2014 were not complaints but context, only. I'm intending to keep using the VSL libraries and trying to figure out the relative comfort of using them with Finale 27 vs Dorico5 Pro. So, I'd appreciate hearing opinions by people actually using them with out of the box Expression Maps in Dorico5 or with Human Playback Preferences in Finale 27.

A temporary factor would be the possibility of filling the gaps with GOP5 until I make enough additions to my VSL (Synch'd) SEs and maybe later, as well.  

Reha

• last edited
    last edited

@Bill said:

How could the Keyswitch Dump be effected by the the change to iLok?

With the transition to iLok the whole SE1 was reloaded, complete with a new VE and VI. Maybe there were configuration, VST location issues, maybe 32-64 bit things... I just let it go after a little effort, thinking I would be switching to using the (Synch'd) SE1 with the upgraded or cross-graded new notation program, anyway. On the other hand, I can still keep using the -now iLok- SE1 on Notion6 with its special Presets.

Reha

• The KS Dump file is a Finale Library file, kindly provided by VSL. It provide a more user friendly way to create keyswitchs. But it's not really related to the VSL software or licensing.

It goes in the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale\Libraries folder.

It could be you just need to reload it, and add it to your default file/project.

As to your other question, Dorico is far and away the best notion software for working with VSL or any other 3rd party VST library. Finale is at the back of the pack.

Bill

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • Hello Bill,

I had already reloaded the "good for 2014" KS Dump file to the location you indicate and it did/does show up among the "Expressions" as it used to previously. The problem is somewhere else, For instance, VE 6 VST Viewer shows up and says it is unable to "connect to the service". I did try a couple of things at the time and then just left it alone, since as I said I have other plans for using the VSL. 

Thank you very much for your unequivocal statement as to which notation program works best with the VSL (and with 3rd party VST libraries, in general). That was exactly what I conjectured from what I had read/watched  everywhere and now I feel much more confident about it. 

Judging by your soft/hardware as I can recall, by the knowledge/authority you can pass judgements on such issues and by your kind propensity to help, I believe you must be a certain Bill I used to know previously from a couple of forums. A big "Greetings" and "Thank you" to you!

I'm very glad to have heard your advice. Please allow me to ask a further question I was thinking of asking in the Dorico forum: will it be possible to effectively use GPO5 (and Sample Tank 4?) besides VSL SE within Dorico5 Pro, via "whitelisting" them?

Reha