Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,462 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,080 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• MIRPRo3D presets to reproduce positions

Hi all - though this is probably aimed mostly at Dietz.

I'm working on a project where I want to use the same MIR Pro 3D positions on various songs. If this were real-world, I'd be asking the musicians to sit in the same seats for each song. I was hoping I'd be able to do this with presets but so far I've been unable to get that to work. I set up one song with the seating plan I wanted, made sure each player/group had its own identifiable name and saved it all as a user preset with the various roles, etc. However, when I load up another song with the same, or very similar, musicians, then apply the preset I created for the first it doesn't put them in anything like the correct positions. I made sure my first preset was set to save absolutely all info but it doesn't seem to apply it. So the question is whether there's a way of making this work? It'd save me a huge amount of work if I don't have to configure each song individually as well as aiding with consistency of sound across the whole album. I expect I'm missing something really obvious and will feel an idiot once it's explained...

Thanks!

Nick

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • Hi Nick, 

I don't have the time at the moment for a step-by-step guide, but maybe this rough, exemplary little screencast I did a few months ago is already all you need to see:

-> 

Two things to keep in mind:

- Roles (NOT the instruments) must have identical names in different Venue Presets to be identified and assigned automatically. 

- You don't necessarily need MIR's own Preset Management when all you want to achieve is an identical setup throughout all projects. Your DAW's preset handling might be all you need.

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks Dietz, but what I'm trying to do is not use the same instruments/roles in different venues but apply the same settings, same positions in same venue, to different songs. In real world terms, imagine we spend a morning recording one song then, as producer, I say "right, everyone go and have some lunch. This afternoon we're doing a different song but I want you all sitting in the same places in the same room".

I'll try following the screencast and see if I've missed anything. I expect I have. I watched another video on preset management a few times but, again, that was all about using different venues. I expect I've missed something really, really obvious.

Thanks again, I'll give it a go a bit later.

N

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • That's exactly what I was trying to describe. :-) Same setup - different songs.

• Aha, fantastic, I've got it now. That's going to save a huge amount of work. Thanks Dietz!

N

• last edited
    last edited

👍  Great! That's good to hear. 

Please don't hesitate to ask if you encounter any additional hurdles. MIR's Preset Management is very powerful, but you need to wrap your mind around it first. 8-]

Kind regards,

• I realise the manual's deliberately simple so people don't see 300 pages on orders of ambisonics, capsule properties, etc. and think "I'll never understand that in a million years". I think that's the right decision because actually, for something so complex, MIR is incredibly easy to get up-and-running. When I first got it I used defaults and everything sounded really good instantly, but I've now had it for 2-3 months and I'm getting my head round it a bit more so I want to experiment with a sound of my own, the way I would in a real-world studio.

When I was trying to work this out I looked at a few videos and articles but they all seemed to be about moving performers to different venues, whereas I wanted to stay in one and only adapt what needed to be different for that song. This was probably complicated by the fact that I've recently started using the Synchron Player, after 15 or so years with Vienna Instruments, so that's two new things to get to grips with at once.

Anyway, I think I've got it now but I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Thanks again Dietz, all the best

N