Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,435 users have contributed to 42,299 threads and 255,074 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• Synchron (Piano) Player: Custom preload size

I'm on a 2022 MacBook Air M2 with 24GB RAM and play the Bösendorfer Imperial with ALL mics for joy.

I use 16384 preload size (13.88GB) and with all mics it's reading a lot from disk (10GB+ to play a song).

I want to reduce disk usage but the next option is double that (~28GB) which is too much.

So the preload size options doesn't work great with this many mics as the jumps are too steep, can we get some more options especially in the upper range, like steps of 4096?

-------------

And just a +1 on CPU I saw it's on the roadmap so:

Without native M2 support it is capped to 1 core Intel and can handle about 1500 voices before it starts to cut due to 100% CPU. Hoping support comes soon to improve this. With all Imperial mics it takes several large chords in succession with a lot of sustain to hit this limit so only happens in some songs.

• Thanks for posting with this detail, it is very helpful for me.

I have the full Steinway D-274 library running occasionally on my Windows laptop from 2015, fantastic sound but too much latency and the laptop overheats.

I am waiting for Apple to (hopefully) announce the M2 Mac Mini in Oct/Nov and I plan to buy 24GB RAM version same as your M2 Air. I will have this permanently connected to my digital piano running Synchron Piano Player.

If Apple announce a Mac Mini with M2 Pro chip & 32GB RAM or more, I may consider this also, but it is very reassuring to know that the Bösendorfer Imperial is working ok for you with all mics on 24GB using Rosetta 2.

I also look forward to Apple Silicon support soon!

+1 for your request for additional preload sizes

Paul

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Synchron Series on