Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,511 users have contributed to 42,234 threads and 254,831 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 23 new post(s) and 41 new user(s).

• SYNCHRON-ized Special Edition 1 Review & Feedback

https://forum.vsl.co.at/topic/59173/Free Preset For SE1 Bosendorfer/311943

• Oh and here's a hidden tip I just discovered:

Since one of my complaints is about the convolution presets, it turns out they supply presets for Orch Strings (ie ensemble strings) and Solo Strings that are panned center, but still have the nice EQs and correct convolution impulse. You find these in the list to the right under the SE1 category. Apply those, everything will snap center, and then you can pan to taste. (Edit: I found that the Orch Strings get decorrelated pretty severely, so I thinned them out with the widener plugin, which is post-convolution. But doing all this, they end up like an improved version of OT/SF offerings. Try it.)

Where should you control the pan? Most definitely NOT on the mix tab's panner! Because that will pan the reverb as well, and you'll be in half a room, which is seriously weird, if you care about these things. Instead pan on the Edit tab, and you'll apparently need to pan each articulation "slot" individually, although once just now it panned all slots at once, I don't know how. (Edit: click away from any rightmost slot, so the "Humanize" dialog isn't visible anymore, and you will be able to set the balance for every articulation at once.) Of course I suggest panning every articulation the same amount. That will pan, or actually stereo balance, pre-convolution, so you get the whole room back, and that still sounds good to me.

All of this if you don't like where they put the strings in the panorama.

Sadly, tragically...they do not provide alternate pannings for the rest of the instrument convolutions. All of the baked-in convolution EQs are a bit off from each other and therefore they aren't interchangeable. So no fixing where the Tuba is (although you can swap it left-right post-convolution, which I just did by turning their "Power Panner" inside out and red). I suppose the MIR pro thing is supposed to handle that level of control, plus put them in different rooms. But at least, with just SE1 you can get Synchron convolution on the strings for SE1, with custom panning, and the strings are the strongest part anyway.