Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,446 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,798 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

As for DP, funny, but in recent years a number of people hired me to help them migrate to Logic because they were unhappy with DP, but I don’t do DAW wars. 

people are fickle and switch boats for a variety of reasons and frustrations in both directions.  All the DAW's have pros and cons, LogicPro and DP both are no exception.

I also left DP for LogicPro at some point in the past, but now I'm heading back as MOTU has fixed a lot that I was frustrated about in the past and DP still offers some features no other DAW does, which I really like, such as chunks..  (shrug).

They are all decent choices... 

• Jay, no worries about your ID mixup.

I'm stuck with Logic because of the very large subsystem I've designed, developed and been using for many years  in Logic's Environment to give me Orchestral Intonation (OI). I designed version 1 of this subsystem 20 years ago in EMagic's Logic Audio Platinum 3.5, and ran it via IAC with Reason as my sound module containing orchestral instrument samples I bought on CDs. Today I have VEPro doing the job Reason did back then.

If I'm to share my OI subsystem with other Logic users, but Apple's development of Logic thwarts that plan, it may be that my only option then would be to become an indie Apple Developer and write an app to do OI - but that's unlikely to happen. Thus if Logic devlopment continues to move away from conditions that suit my OI subsystem, I'll just continue to use OI for myself in a suitable old version of Logic for as long as possible. No doubt someone else will put OI where it belongs - in the hands of composers.

You know the roller-coaster experience of working with Apple products, so I'll say no more.

All the best Jay.

• Interesting, Dewdman , I didn’t remember that!

I think you are correct though in your guess that their are so few developers who have bothered to create AU 3 versions that Logic’s utility with them, or shortcomings  hasn’t gotten any attention. As we’ve discussed, it isn’t something I care a lot about, although it would be nice to use if I it worked reasonably effortlessly, but when I see the lengths you go to to make it work, I am not willing to go there.

Macker , what a nice fellow you are, thanks. 

Logic is my DAW, period. I have thousands of hours working with it and I can make it serve any musical composition or production task I do quickly and well. VE Pro has been a good partner for it  the only way I would even think about using another is if a client said to me, “Jay, I have $50,000 worth of work for you but you need to use (fill in any DAW) to do it.”

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

but when I see the lengths you go to to make it work, I am not willing to go there.

Well you might be confusing it with the old Vepro6 multiport macros.  None of that is necessary with VePro7 and AU3..that's why I endorse it...IF you are wanting multi midi ports to VePro.  I already know you prefer not to work that way in any case.

Using the AU3 version of Vepro7 plugin is pretty painless, it works just like any other multi-timbral instrument in LogicPro...no special environment cabling is needed or really anything..  BUT...  you do have to be careful about a a couple of things and that might be where some people get frightened or in trouble.  its not really about big hoops you have to jump through, but about a couple of traps to make sure to avoid.

1. Don't use more than 127 midi channels per VePro Instance due to limitation which hopefully some day Apple will fix.  (you can do more than 127 if you want to get more complicated jumping through environment hoops)

2. Don't use AU3 if you have a plugin that requires transport sync inside the plugin hosted in VePro7 of any kind, its currently not working.  In that case just use AU2.  (I am unable to test v10.7 to see if they fixed that but I doubt it and the problem might be VSL's fault we don't really know)

3. When creating the multi-timbral tracks in LogicPro, the typical approach is to create the first track, set its midi channel to channel 1 instead of ALL, then use CONTROL-RETURN, to add more tracks on next midi channel etc.  That is the normal LogicPro multi-timbral procedure for creating new multi-timbral tracks into a single instrument plugin.

its the same with AU3, but the one little tricky thing is when you get to channel 16, you can't use CTRL-RETURN and have the right thing happen.  LogicPro needs to be improved in that regard also.  Its not that hard, you just select the channel 16 track, change it to port 2, channel 1, then go on hitting CTRL-RETURN some more to create all the port 2 tracks, etc..  Its really not a big deal once you get the hang of it.

I have found AU3 in vepro7 works totally fine and awesome actually...with the exception of being limited to the 127 midi channels and not having transport sync.  Couple other things too, right now if you save patches in LogicPro, it doesn't always save all the AU3 info, but maybe they fixed that in 10.7 when they added the multi input ports.

Anyway, I totally get your POV about using one VePro instance per source track..."like a score", that approach certainly works fine for a lot of people and I think both approaches have their time and place, but just saying, AU3 basically works fine if you avoid the traps I mentioned above.

Tricky environment cabling...well that can lead to all kinds of sorrow...so...no comment there...

• Deadman, for me, too many steps for too little reward, but as you say, because I am a classically trained guy, the score page approach is just more relatable for me.

• Last time I checked I still have a pulse ;-)

• [Moved by the writer due to nugatory-noise nuisance.]

• last edited
    last edited

@Macker said:

There's no hint of Apple having any interest in serving the needs of professional composers and other makers of serious orchestral music. Makers of popular music appear to be the only market Logic is aimed at nowadays.

I think you might be exaggerating whatever frustrations you are currently having with LogicPro.  There are in fact quite a few professional orchestrators using LogicPro every day to do their job.  Ever heard of John Powell?  Jay Asher swears by it, both for himself and for his clients.  LogicPro can most certainly be used for serious orchestral music.

Complicated environment setups, well...that may be another story...and I truly feel for you if you have spent 20 years building your ultimate environment-based composing setup which might be breaking under the pressure of software updates to LogicPro.  I would suggest you follow up with Apple rather then continuing to rant and rave about it on the VSL forum.

• Many moons ago I introduced in this forum the first step-by-step method for creating custom multiport VEP AU3 templates. Since then I've developed different methods for doing this, and have gained much insight, knowledge and experience in using my AU3 templates. And even with Apple's new Port I/O assignments feature in Logic 10.7 (assuming it will eventually work properly), there will still be a need to get crafty in Logic if one is to exploit this new potential of AU3 to best advantage such that advanced, sophisticated and versatile VEP templates can be built and used for composing.

But alas, this new territory for Logic has yet to be thoroughly prepared by Apple. Indeed I've begun to seriously doubt that Apple wants Logic to go in such a direction. It's significant that in the App Store, Apple's description of Logic starts as follows: "Logic Pro is ... for professional songwriting, beat making, editing and mixing ...".

There's no hint of Apple having any interest in serving the needs of professional composers and other makers of serious orchestral music. Too often, sophisticated users have to coax whatever advanced facilities they can get out of Logic by using considerable technical ingenuity. Makers of popular music appear to be the only market Logic is positively aimed at and catered for by Apple nowadays.

And what else might we divine about Apple's development strategy for Logic, given the one time payment forever policy? Isn't it that Apple are targeting Logic ever more precisely at youngsters, perhaps many if not most of them being potential 'graduates' of GarageBand on iOS devices? Aren't they now pretty much Apple's only significant potential source of revenue from Logic? So it's not exactly surprising that Logic development has been moving pretty obviously in that direction.

It's hard to conclude that any of this bodes well for the notion that Logic is - or can or could be - a competetive, serious, sophisticated and advanced tool for professional composers. It appears Apple have ceded that territory to Steinberg. And owing to this disappointing lack of healthy and fruitful competition, I doubt that the music of our 'Middle Earth' will prosper as well as we would wish; though I don't imagine there's a Sauron scheming to destroy all good music, Lolol.

This thread has served the purpose I intended for it, although it has fallen foul of yet more nugatory and deceitful noise of the same old sort from the village Gollum, Lol. (The pretence defies all sense - how can someone live like that?). Therefore I'm declaring my thread here closed.

Members are kindly asked to start their own new threads if further discussion is sought.