Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,470 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,080 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• What to do with levels?

All right... this question has been on my mind for a long time...

What do you do with the different levels of volume control in Giga? For instance, you can change the MIDI Volume, which is 90 by default, and you can also change the mixer setting in the DSP station so that all channels output to 0db instead of -6db by default...

What is the best practice? I used to think that I should put everything as loud as I can, so Midi volume to 127 and DSP channel to 0db, and then adjust the Midi expression if I need to be softer in some places...

What do you all do?

Thanks,
    Martin

• Hi Martini,

I did never receive any advice concerning this, so what I write is only the experience of an autodidact...

I do have the rule to only exceptionally change the MIDI levels in GS. This is normally only the case when the samples itself has a very low level and I want add more volume.

Iwan

• From a technical point of view, you should always use as much as possible of the dynamic range given by any system - without distorting it (with cumulative volume of single signals, or by a single signal itself). Driving any audio-system with too little volume will lead to in loss in dynamic resolution (in a digital system) or to less signal-to-noise ratio (in an analogue system).

For a more Giga-specific answer, you could also ask our very own Zampanos in the VSL's dedicated Giga-forum :-]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library