Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Timpani Standard live performance use

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, or asking a naïve question -- I'm just starting to learn about Vienna products.

Is the Vienna Instruments Timpani Standard edition suitable for a live performance situation?  I need to handle about a dozen different instruments as a single player for a choir cantata.  I can consolidate some parts, and eliminate some of the less important or less impactful parts, but I use keyboard for the pitched percussion parts.  In the past, I've used the resident voice on my Roland synth for timps, but rolls (two fingers on keys) are a challenge, and frankly, the timp patch in general is less than pleasing.  

I'm looking for a better set of sounds, but also an easily accessed roll feature, either with a different octave of keys, or use of a mod wheel, or similar.

I can't seem to find any information on this concept in any of the promotional material nor in YouTube videos.  Can anyone here shed some light on my quest?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom Bernett
    North Carolina

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your interest!

Yes, you can definitely use our VI Timpani Standard in a live situation, it's also pretty light on your CPU. Which computer will you be using?

Important: You will need a ViennaKey or Steinberg key to store the license.

Here's a list of the included articulations. The Full Library might pay off as well, with glissandos and different mallets.

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • I'll be using my laptop (Dell 7000 series, Core i7)   

How are the timp rolls accessed with the Standard instrument?

• Hi, 

That should work. 

All articulations are accessed with keyswitches by default, but you can change that to, e.g., a MIDI Controller of your choice. 

Best, 
    Paul

• Sounds great.  I just ordered a Vienna key and also ordered the Timpani Standard library.

Approximately how long does it usually take to receive the key with UPS express shipping to the east coast of the United States?  

• Hi, 

Great! You will receive a tracking information mail as soon as UPS picks up the package. 

Best, 
    Paul