Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,488 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,815 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• My brain is sending me contrasting ideas.

Reversing channels in Mid mics will make the ambience "straight".

But it will reverse the player's position, that I don't know if would be always desirable.

Paolo

• Oops! My comment about the Mid mics being summed almost to mono was incorrect; I was mistakenly thinking of the Close mics - I've just been working with SS Elite and there I have to regard Mid mics as the nearest approximation to Close for the ensemble. In Synchron libraries Close mics are summed almost almost to mono; ensemble Mid mics of course can have considerable L-R contrast. Sorry about that.

So to revisit your question, Paolo, yes of course you could swap Mids too if it's an ensemble and if you can hear distinct azimuth placement (other than by pan and/or balance settings in the  Synchron Player's mixer) as well as L-R stereo contrast in the Mid pair. (Before I begin my spatialisation of a Synchron library I always change all pan and balance settings in the Synchron Player mixer back to default.)

"Straight" and "reversed"? Oh dear, what a situation. Lolol.

• last edited
    last edited

@Macker said:

you could swap Mids too if it's an ensemble and if you can hear distinct azimuth placement (other than by pan and/or balance settings in the  Synchron Player's mixer) as well as L-R stereo contrast in the Mid pair.

I'm not totally sure I can hear a contrast between the reversed Room mics and the non-reversed Mid mics, when moving the 2nd Violins to the right.

However, I've the feeling of doing it right by also swapping the Mid channels. My brain may be tricking my ears, but I feel they sound that bit more coherent.

Paolo