Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,359 users have contributed to 42,391 threads and 255,496 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 68 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@clruwe said:

Right, so the cloud is not very useful then... Especially on WiFi.

Cloud anything is not useful or reliable

• last edited
    last edited

@Ben said:

I have not yet tested it on my notebook, but to my knowledge you have a certan grace-time until you need to reconnect to the internet. You will get a warning as soon as the connection is lost, and this should give you enough time to save everything and fix your connection.

A lot depends on how often the cloud gets checked/polled. I know it's barely a matter of seconds when I've tried it and PT dies. Nowheres near enough time to save. That was just a test to see what would happen. This is from home base and I'm just 10 feet from my router.

• If user does not have ilok usb device, would you provide for those who own VEP6 with old eLicenser for free?

• last edited
    last edited

@Lionberg said:

If user does not have ilok usb device, would you provide for those who own VEP6 with old eLicenser for free?

I doubt it. Why not just buy an iLok? There's a lot of programs that use iLok and sooner or later you're going to need one. Besides - which eLicenser are you asking about - the s/w one or the hardware one? VEPro needs to see the hardware dongle and won't work with the s/w version as I recall.

• Hello Lionberg, 

VE Pro 6 will not be available for iLok at all. There will be great upgrade options to VE Pro 7!

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • It seems to me that the whole point of this move is to get away from hardware licensers. I use Cubase and it will soon be rid of it's elicenser which is great for me as I have a new Macbook Air M1. If I have to have a dongle I might as well use the elicenser(s) I already have!

• last edited
    last edited

@beatpete said:

It seems to me that the whole point of this move is to get away from hardware licensers. I use Cubase and it will soon be rid of it's elicenser which is great for me as I have a new Macbook Air M1. If I have to have a dongle I might as well use the elicenser(s) I already have!

Don't know where you got that idea of this move is getting away from hardware dongles. Why Steinberg is dropping it's dongle - I have no idea. I'd rather have a dongle than a machine license or a cloud license. The cloud is not reliable and it means you have to have your daw computer online. Most studios don't allow their machines online. And a machine license restricts you from easily moving your asset to another machine - again the computers would have to be online.

• last edited
    last edited

@musicman691 said:

The cloud is not reliable and it means you have to have your daw computer online. Most studios don't allow their machines online. And a machine license restricts you from easily moving your asset to another machine - again the computers would have to be online.

I've used machine licenses for years and they have been just fine.

• last edited
    last edited

@musicman691 said:

The cloud is not reliable and it means you have to have your daw computer online. Most studios don't allow their machines online. And a machine license restricts you from easily moving your asset to another machine - again the computers would have to be online.

I've used machine licenses for years and they have been just fine.

Had it happen where if I make a change in my system the machine license goes south. Besides if you want to use a licensed plugin that has a machine license on another machine you've got all kinds of hoops to jump through. Not so with an iLok or Vienna Key.

• last edited
    last edited

@musicman691 said:

Besides if you want to use a licensed plugin that has a machine license on another machine you've got all kinds of hoops to jump through. Not so with an iLok or Vienna Key.

No hoops at all! I have 3 VEP licenses using 3 dongles on three computers. Three machine licenses would be so much better! I've machine licensed hundreds of plugins and never had a problem.

• last edited
    last edited

@musicman691 said:

Besides if you want to use a licensed plugin that has a machine license on another machine you've got all kinds of hoops to jump through. Not so with an iLok or Vienna Key.

No hoops at all! I have 3 VEP licenses using 3 dongles on three computers. Three machine licenses would be so much better! I've machine licensed hundreds of plugins and never had a problem.

With a dongle you can take your license anywheres to any machine in any studio.

• last edited
    last edited

@musicman691 said:

Why on earth would you want to?

• last edited
    last edited

@musicman691 said:

Why on earth would you want to?

I gather you've never worked in in a studio other than you're own right? Been there/done that and not everyone has the same things you work with. Not all licenses are site-wide but only good for one person. And if I need to go to a backup machine having the license on a dongle makes it super easy. I guess you've never had a system take a dump on you.

•  

[/quote]I gather you've never worked in in a studio other than you're own right? Been there/done that and not everyone has the same things you work with. Not all licenses are site-wide but only good for one person. And if I need to go to a backup machine having the license on a dongle makes it super easy. I guess you've never had a system take a dump on you.

[/quote]

I've worked in lots of other studios but not one that had VEP installed and didn't have a dongle!

• last edited
    last edited

@beatpete said:

I gather you've never worked in in a studio other than you're own right? Been there/done that and not everyone has the same things you work with. Not all licenses are site-wide but only good for one person. And if I need to go to a backup machine having the license on a dongle makes it super easy. I guess you've never had a system take a dump on you.

[/quote]

I've worked in lots of other studios but not one that had VEP installed and didn't have a dongle!

[/quote]It may not be legit to use the studio's dongle - not sure that VSL grants site licenses.

•  

[/quote]It may not be legit to use the studio's dongle - not sure that VSL grants site licenses.

[/quote]

I'm not sure what that means but it's all moot because VSL is not going to have computer licenses anyway.

We either have to have a dongle or be connected 24/7 to the internet.

• last edited
    last edited

@beatpete said:

It may not be legit to use the studio's dongle - not sure that VSL grants site licenses.

[/quote]

I'm not sure what that means but it's all moot because VSL is not going to have computer licenses anyway.

We either have to have a dongle or be connected 24/7 to the internet.

[/quote]I never mentioned computer licenses. Strictly talking about dongles. And 24/7 connection to the net isn't going to happen unless VSL allows iLok Cloud. That's iffy at best and depends on a studio having it's machine online all the time.

• Hi,
    I'm considering to buy the voice complete, but I have an apple silicon computer. 
    I had a long and bad experience with the elicenser, and it's no longer working on m1 (not sad)
    But I don't want to spend money on something I can't use until ...

Any idea of the release of Ilok authorization ? (I guess this a question that all user in the forum are wondering)

• Hi, 

We will announce the transition to iLok as soon as everything is ready and tested. 

Here and via newsletter!

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • [quote=Charles-Zoltan de Leissègues;307610]

Hi,
    I'm considering to buy the voice complete, but I have an apple silicon computer. 
    I had a long and bad experience with the elicenser, and it's no longer working on m1 (not sad)
    But I don't want to spend money on something I can't use until ...

Any idea of the release of Ilok authorization ? (I guess this a question that all user in the forum are wondering)

[/quote]Won't the elicenser s/w run in Rosetta 2?