Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Yes, thank you, Andi for all the clarifications. 

I think I had myself every question that was asked on this thread. 

• Hi,

I have installed SS1 optimized and SS Pro. Is there a way to get back some of the missing files from SS1 without reinstalling SS1, or any plans about offering a separate download for those who want to download only what's missing from SS1 (when SS1 optimized and SS Pro are installed)?

Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Zen,

You can decide between having the optimized version or the full version of Synchron Strings I available.

All decision we made for Synchron Strings I Optimized are aiming at providing a great match with the articulations you have with Synchron Strings Pro.

No other plans there.

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks for the reply. I bought SS1 first instead of Pro because I believed that Pro didn't have the cantabile strings, but now it seems as if the cantabile strings are the 'normale' strings in Pro, but with a lot fewer dynamic layers.

Your cantabile demos and the very long, multilayered de/crescendos were also influencing my (and others') decision to go for SS1 – but now it seems that I probably would be OK with only one of the two libraries. Maybe I could sell one of them, or work hard to get the best out of them.

With the cantabile light vib, legato soft, legato normal, legato fast, legato marcato and slurred from SS1, and regular, agile, espressivo, very soft and portamento from Pro, and could possibly  emulate a very 'deep sampled' string section with 11 layers, but I understand that there could be some 'hidden' overlaps and/or name changes which makes combining the two difficult. One cannot, for instance, search for and drag in eg a cantabile patch into a new hybrid patch.

Looking at the difference in size between SS1 on one side and SS Pro + SS1 optimized suggests, at least at the surface, that there aren't a lot of new material in SS Pro - installed sizes between these two are almost identical. Removing most of the layers in the de/crescendos has of course freed up some space, but still – it's hard to decide what to go for. 

Regarding the long notes and legatos in SS1: they have 5-8 layers, while SS Pro longs and leg, has two. But how many layers does the SS Pro + SS1 optimized (or SS1 + SS Pro) have?

The only thing I really dislike about this package is how the vibrato is set up, needing to using two CCs if one wants to x-fade between different vibrato types (and I want that). The other stuff can probably be dealt with if one has enough time.

Before I decide what to do with these libraries, it would be great if someone could share info about what is gone and what has been renamed between SS1 and SS Pro. I'm also curious about why cantabile light vib was removed (and how I can find it) in SS1 if I want to put it into some SS Pro preset... or if it is there already with a different name (or has been replaced by something else/better). String samples with low dynamic levels containing enough vibrato/passion is unfortunately missing from most string libraries. 

• Hi Zen!

I wouldn't layer Synchron Strings I with Synchron Strings Pro. You might layer identical samples.
    As a user of both libraries, I recommend going with Synchron Strings Pro by default and if you are looking for additional variants, you could look for them in the Synchron Strings I library.

>> The only thing I really dislike about this package is how the vibrato is set up, needing to using two CCs if one wants to x-fade between different vibrato types (and I want that).

=> I see. For Synchron Strings Pro this has been changed. You only need one CC there. You can easily change that for Synchron Strings I too. Simply assign keyswitches instead of Dim.Ctrl/B.

We have made a comparison table for Synchron Strings I and Synchron Strings Pro.
    https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Fancyboxes/Strings_Comparison

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Re. "simply assign key switches instead of Sim.Ctrl/B":

Not only would I never use keys witches for x-switching between vibrato levels (because one hand is busy with playing and the other with x-fading between dynamic layers) – I would prefer x-fading over x-switching, and that's not possible with a key command.

I have tried in various ways to find out how the SS1 and SS Pro combo really works, but many questions remain unanswered. 

"We have made a comparison table for Synchron Strings I and Synchron Strings Pro.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Fancyboxes/Strings_Comparison"

Is there a list anywhere, like the one you just shared,  showing how many layers etc. the SS Pro/SS1 combo contains? 

I have tried to search for things in SS1, but with the only way to search that looks like a straightforward way, it's for instance possible to find something containing the word cantabile, even if cantabile is so much focused on in you presentation of SS1. Someone suggested I could paste data into a text editor and search there, but that looks like an very cumbersome, 'wrong century' approach.

Has anyone from VSL posted anything, anywhere, about name changes or anything else that would make it easier to not waste time on combining patches/layers in ways that don't make sense? 

Can I sell SS1 if I find that SS Pro alone should pretty much would give me what I need?

One more thing regarding "Simply assign keyswitches instead of Dim.Ctrl/B.":

Will there be a way to change things simply by a CC (instead of Cim.Ctrl/*) in a future SS1 update?

" if you are looking for additional variants, you could look for them in the Synchron Strings I library"
    You also wrote that I shouldn't layer SS Pro with SS1, which I assume also means not combine for instance a certain dynamic layer from SS1 with a layer from SS Pro. All this would be a lot easier if VSL would have created a list of what SS1 contains which we will NOT find in the SS1/SS Pro optimized combo.

But again; an overview of what we'll achieve by combining SS1 with SS Pro (or SS1 Pro plus SS1 optimized) would not only be useful, but necessary (it seems) in order to find out what the two libraries combined offer (in terms if numbers of layers etc).  

• Hi Zen!

Here are some more answers.

>> Is there a list anywhere, like the one you just shared,  showing how many layers etc. the SS Pro/SS1 combo contains? 

=> I'm sorry to say that there is no such list.

>> I have tried to search for things in SS1, but with the only way to search that looks like a straightforward way, it's for instance possible to find something containing the word cantabile, even if cantabile is so much focused on in you presentation of SS1.

=> You can use the search function of the Patch browser. Simply enter a keyword next to the looking glass.

>> Can I sell SS1 if I find that SS Pro alone should pretty much would give me what I need?

=> It's possible to sell licenses, but that always needs to be done in agreement with our sales team. So please contact our sales-team if you want to sell licenses: sales@vsl.co.at

>> Will there be a way to change things simply by a CC (instead of Cim.Ctrl/*) in a future SS1 update?

=> You can assign CCs to Dim.Ctrls. So that's already possible.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library