Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,311 users have contributed to 42,655 threads and 256,750 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• I really doubt that it'll be another 6+ months.  My guess would be end of year, or January.  VSL has publicly said on this forum thread that they are currently working on M1 native comparability and it will come out soon.  Or something like that, I can't find the exact post.

Btw I'm not saying I'm not frustrated, or that I'm not shocked that VEP is the last thing in my setup that isn't M1 compatible.  But they did say it would be soon, hopefully they actually meant it.

• I also hope on a Christmas release. It would make life much easier. It's the only plugin for me now that is non-m1 native in my cubase template. 

• last edited
    last edited

@rockdude9k said:

I really doubt that it'll be another 6+ months.  My guess would be end of year, or January.  VSL has publicly said on this forum thread that they are currently working on M1 native comparability and it will come out soon.  Or something like that, I can't find the exact post.

Btw I'm not saying I'm not frustrated, or that I'm not shocked that VEP is the last thing in my setup that isn't M1 compatible.  But they did say it would be soon, hopefully they actually meant it.

They did say that it was in beta, but the same guy from VSL who said that also thought the VST VEP plug in was already native, so take that for what it is. 

To be fair personally, I have a longer list than just VEP: Reason Rack, IK T-Racks and ARC, Audio Ease Altiverb and Speakerphone, Reaktor, Battery, half of PSP, AudioFinder etc. etc. 

VEP just happens to be the one that holds up real progress by forcing Rosetta on the DAW to use the MAS version. 

• Can't wait to be able to play my instrument live without having random 100% cpu spikes.  M1 support can't come soon enough.

• last edited
    last edited

@ariacat said:

It's time VSL offer everyone unlimited free licenses to run its ancient VEP software on as many external machines as they want so that we can put all the VSL stuff on those old Intel computers we have lying around while running native M1 DAW software on our new Mac Studios. 

I agree.  I typically try to keep my expectations from companies fair to them as well as customers, but VSL prioritizing stopping a few 14-year olds from using their software illegally (iLok), ahead of thousands of working, paying professional customers is a step too far.  I put up with iLok, but it costs users quite a bit more than it saves developers (I ran the numbers in my own case over the course of a year;  developers have no similar data and can only rely on speculation). 

It seems reasonable to suggest that VSL offer an olive branch to its paying customers.  I understand this may have been an unfortunate collision of circumstances for VSL - end of elicenser just before the release of M1s.  But I also know this has cost me many hours and late nights trying to create workarounds, with little success, as it has others.  Even if VSL releases an update next week, this situation makes me question the wisdom in relying on VEPro.  For that reason, I am very close to committing to a return to hardware audio and Midi I/O and one of several instrument hosting options to eliminate any further VEP hassles permanently.  The only obstacle there is cost.  It is much more OS/upgrade future-proof than software such as VEP. 

As much as I like VEPro, it is a risk.  Future hardware and OS updates could put us in a similar situation, and this includes Windows.  Win 11 is already a security-obsessed nightmare. 

• Yeah, after waiting silently for over a year, now I'm just expressing my confusion here... VEPro is the most essential thing in my current setup and the only plugin preventing me to switch to M1 native :/

Really hope we get the support soon-ish ... even if it is a v8 paid update, would gladly pay for an upgrade. Just make it work :)

• Just got the note that Pro Tools will be releasing a Beta that is compatible with Apple Silicon.  Avid is one of the most cautious software developers out there.  If VEP doesn't step up to the plate soon, that wonderful, unique and incredibly USEFUL Swiss Army knife will become a fossil.   I don't need new libraries.  But I would like to have all the old sessions I did with VEP to work. 
    Apple Mac Studio Ultra / Pro Tools

• last edited
    last edited

@glasswing said:

Just got the note that Pro Tools will be releasing a Beta that is compatible with Apple Silicon.  Avid is one of the most cautious software developers out there.  If VEP doesn't step up to the plate soon, that wonderful, unique and incredibly USEFUL Swiss Army knife will become a fossil.   I don't need new libraries.  But I would like to have all the old sessions I did with VEP to work. 
    Apple Mac Studio Ultra / Pro Tools

Agreed, I'm constantly shocked that companies such as SoundToys and Avid are ahead of VSL on this.  I know that it's probably more complicated than I know, but clearly other companies are figuring this out.

• last edited
    last edited

@HONEYHILL said:

VSL LiveChat <livechat@vsl.co.at>

17 Nov 2022, 19:26 (14 hours ago)

to me
    Hello Oliver,

thanks for getting in touch.

You can use all our samples & software on the macOS Ventura. Our software also works with the M1 and M2 chips, and it works surprisingly well on Rosetta 2.

There are a couple of developers using this rethorics (Audioease, among others), and to me, either this is the pinnacle of condesending mumbo-jumbo, or – even worse – VSL don't understand the problem with this argument. I don't believe the last one if the case, instead it's just a way of confusing people.

The problem is not VEP itself. It's the fact that all DAWs except Logic has to be run in Rosetta2 mode. Which means all other plugins will run in Rosetta2 mode. Which means bugs, glitches, performance degredation, etc. Most of us has hundreds of plugins. Of which 99% are now M1 native, where all VSL related software is not.

Even mentioning this as a "positive" argument makes me so annoyed I feel it was worth permanently abandoning VEP just for the sake of not being humiliated.

• last edited
    last edited

@HONEYHILL said:

VSL LiveChat <livechat@vsl.co.at>

17 Nov 2022, 19:26 (14 hours ago)

to me
    Hello Oliver,

thanks for getting in touch.

You can use all our samples & software on the macOS Ventura. Our software also works with the M1 and M2 chips, and it works surprisingly well on Rosetta 2.

There are a couple of developers using this rethorics (Audioease, among others), and to me, either this is the pinnacle of condesending mumbo-jumbo, or – even worse – VSL don't understand the problem with this argument. I don't believe the last one if the case, instead it's just a way of confusing people.

The problem is not VEP itself. It's the fact that all DAWs except Logic has to be run in Rosetta2 mode. Which means all other plugins will run in Rosetta2 mode. Which means bugs, glitches, performance degredation, etc. Most of us has hundreds of plugins. Of which 99% are now M1 native, where all VSL related software is not.

Even mentioning this as a "positive" argument makes me so annoyed I feel it was worth permanently abandoning VEP just for the sake of not being humiliated.

I'm running DP11 in native Apple Silicon mode, the issue isn't that you have to run your DAW in Rosetta it's that you have to run the VEP plug in, in AU, so no VST or MAS version for instance, and no running older projects. For Cubase this doesn't work I would suppose. 

the worst part to me is that personally all that needs changing is the VEP plug in itself, I don't plan on running the server on Apple Silicon here, since I have 96GB on the old Mac Pro and it works just fine. I'm almost willing to bet that VSL doesn't release the AS native VEP version until their Syncron players and the rest of their products are native as well. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just get the feeling that they wouldn't want to release the server as native without their own products being able to be used in it natively. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Michael Canavan said:

I'm running DP11 in native Apple Silicon mode, the issue isn't that you have to run your DAW in Rosetta it's that you have to run the VEP plug in, in AU, so no VST or MAS version for instance,

Exactly, which means no multiple Midi ports for VEP (AU), which is a showstopper for many of us.

Ditto - All I need is the VEP plugin to be M1 native (MAS preferably). All of my servers are PCs.  I have no plans to run VEP server on a Mac M1 anytime in the next 1-2 years. 

• I'm in exactly the same boat.  If I could run an Apple Native AU plugin in the DAW (Logic for me), I could access my PC servers hosting all the samples I've used for years.  Rosetta mode is glitchy as hell for many, many things. 

• last edited
    last edited

@kpbenoit said:

I'm in exactly the same boat.  If I could run an Apple Native AU plugin in the DAW (Logic for me), I could access my PC servers hosting all the samples I've used for years.  Rosetta mode is glitchy as hell for many, many things. 

I installed a couple NVMe's in a Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe (RAID) because the Mac Studio Ultra (128 gigs RAM) can easily handle it.  I moved (re-downloaded) all my VI samples to that.  So really I don't need VEP anymore - but it sure would be nice for all the earlier work.  And because I love its organization / bundling of VI"s in one place.  Haven't hit the RAM ceiling - or come close yet - and I've done some fairly complex stuff.  But no full tilt Hollywood scores / soundtracks etc. 

• After reading religiously this post since a few month, I was really affraid as I've just received my Mac Studio ultra and I was certain that VEP was totally Brocken.

I've just give it a try : LogicPro M1 native (VEP AU) and VEP local server Ilok version (on the same Mac Ultra) with latest version downloaded yesterday.

The result is not so bad

It does work. There is some light clicks (latency @128), but it does works (orchestral template with a lot of instruments and more than 64gb of RAM usage). Clicks are disappearing when putting VEP server on top and not logic (weird).

It is not the greatest solution, but I'm able to open my template and make some mods to olds songs.

I can't wait to get the Silicon native version !

In the meantime, I will stay with logic only to avoid those clicks

• that's an advantage of using logic. You can run native and most of the plugins runs native. 

I'm on cubase, the only option is to run completely in rosetta if I want to use VSL, and not all VST3-plugins are responsive enough. Still hoping on a VEP native release soon.

• last edited
    last edited

@kurt said:

that's an advantage of using logic. You can run native and most of the plugins runs native. 

I'm on cubase, the only option is to run completely in rosetta if I want to use VSL, and not all VST3-plugins are responsive enough. Still hoping on a VEP native release soon.

To be fair, Reaper, Digital Performer, and Live can run native VST and AU’s alongside Rosetta AU’s for things like VEP. Bitwig has it’s own wrapper for non Apple Silicon ready VST’s, undoubtably a product of it’s plug in sandboxing. I would bet Studio One can as well, Cubase might be the only DAW that can’t run native VSTs if it wants to run non native plug ins as well, since the only other VST only can.  

• I did not know, thank you for the info. 

• I finally had to drop VEPro for the foreseeable future.

I spent the past 4-5 weeks, between projects, working out an alternative to VEPro on the M1 so I can run DP natively, and I've settled on ipMidi and hardware I/O (VEPro or Cantabile hosting on the slave PC).  ipMidi is limited to 20 ports, but is far easier to setup and use than RTPmidi.  

I'll see what the new year brings from VSL, but I simply could not wait any longer, and had to find a long term, reliable solution due to a heavy workload next year that I need to start preparing for now.  

It is worth it just to run DP natively (significantly better performance vs DP-Rosetta).  I also can't assume the next version of VEPro will be stable enough for demanding work out of the gate.  It could be months before VEPro-native is an option, if the MAS plugin is even available upon first release.  

This took a lot of time to reconfigure and test, and time is money.  It also comes with a significant hardware investment for the necessary I/O.  I know it is "old school", but it works very well.  

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

It's high on our list, but I can't give you an ETA - it usually only causes disappointment when things don't go as planned. 

But rest assured that we're on it!

Best, 
    Paul

That message was exactly 6 months ago - Any news at all?

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas!

Thank you

• last edited
    last edited

@Tomboman said:

That message was exactly 6 months ago - Any news at all?

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas!

Thank you

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/vsl-synchron-piano-and-apple-m1-confirmed-bug.133865/post-5252224

It seems like they're getting fairly close, but no hard ETAs yet.