Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,675 users have contributed to 42,253 threads and 254,888 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

I've updated the "old" version with the due changes to the mallets (and several other small things fixed). The link in the initial post is now updated.

I've also tried a version with more MIRacle, and a reduced mix/tail of MIR. I've probably not done a great job, since I find it not very realistic, and without that "gloss", making the sound seem to be immersed in the space, that I find in the MIR/less MIRacle version.

Holst - Mercury (VI) (with less MIR and more MIRacle)

I must be the biggest fan of pure MIR!

Paolo

EDIT: Added a version for the Synchron libraries (with Synchronized Woodwinds and VI Harps).

Holst - Mercury (Synchron)

• last edited
    last edited

I've added some more espressivo-style details to the score.

Not being undecided enough with the reverb matter, I'm now undecided about limiting or not. The loudest part seems to ask for it.

I've tried with two limiters: Steinberg's own Limiter included in Dorico, with the Protection preset. I think this introduced some harshness that was not what I like. The, I used a modeled Vari µ in Limiting mode, and with parallel compression on to let much of the dry signal pass untouched.

I thing the Vari µ is doing a good job with the loudest passages. However, it also seems to do something to the softer dynamics, compressing the ppp-mp range as well. It shouldn't, but by emulating a tube circuitry, it is probably always compressing a little. As a consequence, I find the non-compressed version slightly more transparent.

Which one do you prefer? The difference is subtle, but it is there.

Holst - Mercury (with no limiting)

Holst - Mercury (limiting)

Paolo

• I updated it again. I got a chance to fix some mistakes, and work a bit more on the dynamics. This is a piece that goes from tiny, cristalline 'pings', to the most massive burst of sound. Not easy to keep it under control.

Paolo

• Hi Paolo.

Just listened to your work. What a start for me in the new year!

All the best

VI Special Edition 1-3, Reaper, MuseScore 3, Notion 3 (collecting dust), vst flotsam and jetsam
  • Fabio, thank you for listening!

Happy New Year!

Paolo

• last edited
    last edited

Hi,

I've finally been able to make a version for the Synchron libraries (with Synchronized Woodwinds and VI Harps).

Obviously, with second violins on the right! 😊

Holst - Mercury (Synchron)

Paolo

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on
  • PaulP Paul moved this topic from Your Music on