Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,716 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,893 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 41 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Mike,
    I'm a bit confused here. You've mentioned hundreds of controller messages to create an effective dynamic with one sample.
    In the Sibelius thread i recently posted, there's a description of using Sibelius with samples. It's simplistic but i'm using a laptop (a), my knowledge of programming is limited (b).
    I'm assuming with the legato sample (lets say a single sample) that you're using the dynamic plugin (Cres/Dim). There's a workaround for this, and maybe it will make life easier. It depends if you're looking for a 'finished' score for presentation to a conductor, or a 'working' score with everything on it, for production of a finished product.
    For the working score, use live playback, and when you want a note of any reasonable length, split and tie it together. e.g. Instead of a semibreve, put in semiquavers. Tie them together. In live playback go to menu Transform live playback. On the first note, designate your start dynamic, then the end dynamic for the last note. Highlight the bar (Blue Box.) select Cres/Dim in Tranform Live playback and click ok. The range of velocity increase will be incremental from the first to the last, and in live playback you can adjust each note individually, so whether you leave the straight lne, or introduce a curved Cres/Dim it's up to you.
    I'm using a laptop here in Moscow, and with basic samples, one velocity, this is a useful method for getting a live playback as opposed to the mechanical one.
    Regards,

Alex.

Alex-

Thanks so much for those useful tips, I will try them now. Just to be clear, are you saying that you DO have dynamic control over just one perf_leg sample using Sibelius? If you playback a measure with piano marked in the score and then forte, you will hear a difference between the two in the same perf_legato sample? If so, then there is no problem, and my problems are solved.

thanks again,
    mvanbebber

• Mike,
    I did assume you were trying to graduate a velocity curve, so the advice i gave was for that.
    To go from Piano to Forte is even easier. Remembering that markings are ignored in LIVE PLAYBACK, you'll see above each note a blue bar (for the blue voices, green bar for the green etc.) representing velocity. Here's a example of my procedure (one of them).
    I don't know how competent a keyboardist you are, so i'll assume on the side of competent.
    Turn on Live Playback (The button with the lightning symbol). Record your phrase. Above each note will appear a blue vertical bar. This represents velocity. The whole bar (pale grey) is quite naturally 100%. The blue section represents the velocity of the note you have recorded. (hit it hard and it will be almost all blue, hit it soft, and there will be more grey. Easy)
    At any time (while stopped) you can simply click on the bar in any place, and the note will be set to the new velocity.

Now, i said that markings were ignored in Live Playback, and that remains true. But if you record without live playback, you can still activate it.
    So, you've entered your phrase, and now you wish to adjust the velocity. You've heard that your one sample HASN'T changed dynamic, despite the markings. Don't panic.
    Turn on live playback (the button with the lightning symbol) Highlight your chosen phrase (Blue Box) and go to Transform Live Playback in the dropdown Play menu.
    It will ask you if you wish to 'set a velocity' for each note. Use the default (I think it's 64) or set your own, then press ok. Above your phrase appears a vertical velocity box for each note, and you are at part one again.
    If you wish to revert to non Live playback after, ensure you save!
    This is a quick workaround develped from the frustration of using the Cres/Dim plugin, IMHO the worst part of Sibelius. (Should be integrated)

It's easy to do, and you have an advantage with VSL samples, as i'm coping with Miroslav on my little laptop while studying here.
    Note, it's worth going to the thread i started in Composition, and see if the setup is useable. I don't know how you've got Sibelius wired into a sequencer, so if you turn off Live playback and your sample returns to a single velocity level, then turn live playback on on again, (and of course you saved it earlier), and record into sequencer making any neccessary audio adjustments. If you then wish to 'tidy up' the score for printing, you've got your audio recorded, and after turning off Live playback ,and any engraving adjustments, you've also got a printable score. Winner both ways.
    Also note i use two scores. first the working score (playback adjustments), then adjustments to end with a printable score. I used to do it the other way round, and it took a lot longer.

Regards,

Alex.
    I haven't tried to record in Sibelius with the audio track feature, so i don't know if it will work. Perhaps something to try in the future.