Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,491 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,818 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• Vienna Hybrid Reverb surround bouncing/rendering problem

I'm working on my film score project on surround set up & using vienna hybrid reverb (VHR) for the first time on this movie. While it's a great reverb, I've found that VHR has some serious bugs. So I'm working on all my music tracks that some of the tracks are send via aux to VHR surround aux. When I try to render/bounce my 20 min of music It'll take around 45 min to bounce 1 track/stems (I need to deliver stems to audio post for final mix). Once I disabled my VHR surround aux track the render only took 8 mins fOr the same tracks/stems. So I figured why don't I online print these fx aux...print all my reverbs, delays etc. Same error goes with that. I created 5.1 surround audio track that I named 5.1 fx print to be the receiver of all my fx's. Once I set my VHR surround aux track output (let say busses 1-6) to my 5.1 fx print the famous apple rainbow will start spinning for at least 8 minutes before it'll stop. Then I arm my 5.1 fx print track there goes another 8 minutes rainbow. Then I hit the rec button on my 5.1 fx print track there goes another 8 min Before I finally could record my fx aux's. Once I disabled VHR surround reverb track everything went just fine, no rainbow at all. So I really don't know how to print or to bounce my fx's to be delivered to audio ost in stems. I'm using 12 core iMac pro with 64gb ram , High Sierra OS & all my samples/audio track are on ssd. Change the buffer to 256 or 1024 doesn't make any differences. There is definitely serious bug with VHP regarding the routing & rendering thing. I'm a DP 10 user btw. Any solutions please?

• Hi Rickindies,

sorry to hear that you're facing problems. I'll make this known to VSL software engineers immediatly. I can't test the issue myself right now because I have no access to a DP-based DAW at the moment (... and the virus doesn't make it easier :-/ ...).

We'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Rickiendies,

sorry for the delay. I just looked up the support history of this case: The VSL support team already works on it. The main problem is that not many people here use Digital Performer for surround work, so testing is a bit more challenging than it usually is, it seems. 

Thanks for your patience!

• Hi Dietz, Thanks for the reply. Please let me know if there are any updates. Basically the bottom line is VHR can't be bounce out. It takes forever to bounce anything out that goes thru them. At this moment the only way is to wait 45 minutes to bounce a stem of 20 minutes of music. While it's great plugins I just not sure I can keep up with that to keep using it on my future film score surround projects Please keep me posted!

• While our support people work on the issue while we speak, I just did a quick test in Nuendo 10 under Windows. Here, a 12 minutes long 5.1 track with one instance of Hybrid Reverb Pro in its insert bounced in about 1 minute and 15 seconds. This looks suspiciously like a problem that is either a DP-specific or an OS-X-specific one (or both), sorry to say so.

I seem to remember that DP offers some kind of nifty tricks like pre-rendering of effects, to minimize the real-time CPU-load. Could it be that it's just a question of activating (or de-activating) one of these processing-related Preferences ...?

Kind regards,

• I just opened DP and the problem is the pre gen effects is greyed out for all VSL products..while other products like Waves & softube we have the choice to run the plugins in a real time. I'd like to give it a shot but unfortunately I can't switch the pre rendering in a real time for all VSL products Btw did you try to render those 12 minutes on actual surround output & within surround busses in & out? What I meant you didn't bounce them into stereo output (downmix)

• The little test I carried out used a 5.1 track routed to a Auro 3D output in 5.1.4 format - which is irrelevant as Nuendo 10 offers bouncing directly from a track's output.