Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,618 users have contributed to 42,247 threads and 254,872 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Agarn,

That shouldn't happen anymore with the latest VE Pro versions. Please send the crash log to support@vsl.co.at, with a link to this thread.

We will take a look.

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

This problem is still happening for me using the latest VEP 7.0.954 and Logic 10.4.8 on MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). It's entirely reproducible on my end. In this case I'm running on a multi-monitor setup where LPX is open on the secondary display and VEP is open on the primary display (iMac built-in). This is possibly relevant but I haven't tried to do this without using them on the same display yet.

1. Start Logic Pro X
    2. Create an instrument track and add VEP plugin as the input (multi-output w/ 16 stereo)
    3. Start VEP Server
    4. Add an instance to the blank VEP server that starts up.
    5. Rename the instance to anything
    6. Choose Instance > Open Recent Project from the menu and select a saved VEP project (click Don't Save when prompted)
    7. Open the VEP plugin from within Logic.
    8. Click Connect then select the named instance from VEP server and click Connect again.

VEP Server crashes immediately. I haven't even closed the plugin window yet as is indicated by other posters. I'll attempt to repro again using the primary display only to see if that might be the cause but as of right now VEP is entirely unusable for me with Logic Pro X.

LogicU0020ProU0020XU0020VEP7U0020CrashU0020Report.txt-1696338842419-kqukl.txt

• Looks like this might have something to do with the number or type of channels/busses/etc. I have created in the VEP project I'm loading because when I attempt to reproduce this with a brand new instance where I just added a single instrument, the crash doesn't happen. There could be some other kind of incompatibility or resource limitation issue. I'm running on a brand new iMac with maxed out specs so it's almost certainly not a physical resource limitation. I smell a software bug. All of the instruments I have loaded are Kontakt 6 instances in the project that is crashing. I can provide more relevant details if someone can tell me what will be helpful to help with diagnosis.

• I have the latest version of VEPro 7 running on an iMac Pro with 256 GB of RAM running Mojave. The only program that is running on this computer is VEPro 7. I have a very large template, which uses around 60 GB of RAM. The program loads fine, but whenever I close out VEPro after a session VEPro 7 crashes. This computer is a slave to my 2019 MacPro running Catalina with a much larger local VEPro template and no problems with crashing after I quit Digital Performer and Closeout VEPro7.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Rik

• Hi Rik,

I answered in the new thread you opened for your question. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • I have the same problem. And in addition to that VE-Pro crashes about every 36-48 hours. The culprit seems to be Kontakt. Some instrument (probably in its scripting) has a CPU leak. Eventually it goes through the roof, the "!" symbol in Kontakt becomes red and the application is no longer responding. It then drags VE-Pro as well as Logic down to hell. Only force-quit helps.

Afterwards even previously saved projects (VE Pro instances, Kontakt Multis) are not always coming back as they are supposed to be. Often it opens older versions of an instance for example that factually does not exist anymore.

• Hello,

I'm having the same kind of problem with a similar set up.

Were you able to determine what was the cause and what can be done to avoid the problem?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

• According to Paul at Vienna; just let it crash. It does not affect the program. He seems to be right. I have too many instances of Kontakt to justify taking the time to find the problem instance.

I did solve the problem by moving my whole set-up to my new 2019 MacPro. Everything is working smoothly!

Best of luck!

Rik

• I'm seeing a few different things in your notes.  For one, it appears that Paul is recognizing this as a problem that is not yet under control.  I wrote him recently regarding the same problem and he gave me the same response.

Secondly, you mention Kontact.  Has that been isolated as a variable by others as well.  Part of my problem instance includes Kontact.

Thirdly, the computer is another variable.  From this thread it seems as if the MacPro is doing well, while the new iMac was not.  Are computers making a difference?

I have a couple of iMacs and an older MacPro.  One of the iMacs is the master.  The other iMac is a slave.  They are doing well.  The problem is with the MacPro which has the larger bulk of VIs including Kontact VIs.  Until just recently the MacPro was causing no problems at all.  

I just went into VEP 7 and shut down the "power" to most of the VIs, but the problem still persists.  It seems as if the only other thing to do is rebuilding the instances piece by piece to find the culprit.  Any other suggestions?

It also seems this might be about time for an update to VEP to help solve this anomaly.  Thanks!