Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,087 users have contributed to 42,705 threads and 256,979 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• [REAPER] Random stuttering while building a new template and other things

Hi everyone,

I'm building a new template in Reaper for an orchestral setting (so it is a huge one).

I loaded the old template and while I'm creating new istances in VEP I'm replacing the kontakt (or other instruments like swam ones) with event input ones.

I noticed two things that bother me actually:

1) If I use the VST3 version of the main plugin it takes a while to open the fx window every time I click on the fx button of the track. No problem with the VST version of it. So I'm forced to use VST version of the main plugin and VST3 version of the Event Input one.

2) While I'm working on the template I'm experiencing random stuttering with Reaper starting to freeze for a few time to back to normal after it. By monitoring the resources in Reaper and with the task manager I don't see any CPU spikes or similar.

I had also a visible latency while testing it so I disabled "Anticipative FX Processing" only on main plugin tracks and everything works on this side.

So, is there some kind of bug or I'm missing something concerning a good configuration to use VEP7 with Reaper?

This evening after work I will also test performances by trying to play in real time some SWAM instruments to test if performances are better using VEP7 vs Reaper itself.

Also, how many threads should I set for every instance in VEP?

I've an i7 7820X with 64 GB of Ram and Windows 10 x64 1809.

• Welcome Daniele, 

I might be missing something, but why would you use Event Input plugins when you have VST3?

VST 3 might take longer to open because you are accessing much more data with multiple ports than with VST. 

The number of threads depends on the number of instances you are using. The less instances, the more threads you can assign to each instance. 

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Welcome Daniele, 

I might be missing something, but why would you use Event Input plugins when you have VST3?

VST 3 might take longer to open because you are accessing much more data with multiple ports than with VST. 

The number of threads depends on the number of instances you are using. The less instances, the more threads you can assign to each instance. 

Best,
    Paul

Hi Paul, thank you for answering my question.

Well, even if I use VST3 main plugin then I still have only 16 midi ports that I could route to that track in Reaper.

More than anything else I'm using Event Input because I can access directly to parameters this way, thing that I cannot do by using simple midi routing.

Maybe I'm missing something but I see no other way to use VEP.

About threads I have 16 threads, so this means that I couldn't do more than 16 instances in VEP or even if I use, let's say, 16 threads for instance VEP will do the scheduling for me?

I mean, how VEP uses threads? This could explain the stuttering I'm facing also, I hope!

Thank you.