Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Nube questions on Vienna Ensemble Pro

Hi,

I have some nube questions on Vienna Ensemble Pro.

I recently wanted to dabble with orchestral capabilities in my DAW and investigations led me to the Vienna Libraries and the Vienna Ensemble Pro / Epic Orchestra 2 deal. I was totally unaware of the server capabilities of VEP before now and after investigating more, I see some real advantages to using it with my DAW. My questions are more about using "non orchestral" plug ins such as EQ, Compressor, or pitch correction verses "orchestral" plug ins with VEP in my DAW (presently Studio One 4 Pro).

I assume I need to have separate instances of each plug in set up on VEP for each instance I have in the DAW. For example, if I add an EQ plug in to one channel and then add another instance to a second channel, I will need two instances running in VEP (plus the appropriate channels in VEP). Or can a single instance be used across multiple channels in the DAW?

Is anyone used VEP with pitch correction software like Melodyne or Vocalign?

Since I am looking at probably putting together a VEP server, the last question is really broad and know the answer probably does not exist, but here goes. Is there any recommended server builds that folks are using that work well with VEP and don't break the bank (from places like NewEgg or Amazon)? I see that most folks say CPU speed is first and then mucho memory, but that seems to be for folks wanting to run huge string libraries and my needs will be with maybe 50 or less DAW channels running maybe 3 plug ins.

I also plan to posting over at the VI Control forum, but thanks for reading and any feedback from the experts!

h

• last edited
    last edited

@hbart1 said:

I assume I need to have separate instances of each plug in set up on VEP for each instance I have in the DAW. For example, if I add an EQ plug in to one channel and then add another instance to a second channel, I will need two instances running in VEP (plus the appropriate channels in VEP). Or can a single instance be used across multiple channels in the DAW?

You can have have all sorts of things in one instance.

The reasons I ever use more than one instance are 1) horizontal scroll facto and; 2) organization. And as per the latter there will be a fair degree of ad hoc decisions.

As to channels, the limit of MIDI Ports is 48, ie., 48 x 16 channels = 768 channels. So from the DAW perspective at that point you do need a new instance. 

The real limit is how much can your machine handle in real time.

• last edited
    last edited

@hbart1 said:

Since I am looking at probably putting together a VEP server, the last question is really broad and know the answer probably does not exist, but here goes. Is there any recommended server builds that folks are using that work well with VEP and don't break the bank (from places like NewEgg or Amazon)? I see that most folks say CPU speed is first and then mucho memory, but that seems to be for folks wanting to run huge string libraries and my needs will be with maybe 50 or less DAW channels running maybe 3 plug ins.

I think you could get by with one good machine using VEP as Local Host and save yourself some money and hassle.