Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,386 users have contributed to 42,392 threads and 255,500 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 65 new user(s).

• A recent entry in KYle Gann's "Postclassic" blog seems germane to this discussion,

http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/

The entry entitled the Fetishism of the Literal

Do carry on - a most interesting discussion.

DC

• Well you see, something I've noticed about lgrohn - this person always disappears when anyone agrees, or says something supportive. So the positive posts will stop this discussion cold, I am sure. But lgrohn will reappear with another shocking rejoinder that startles people with its "Out There" quality.

Which is one reason I like him/her/it. (Perhaps a new form of artificial intelligence? Or a supremely intelligent brain functioning within a closed metallic sphere of unknown origin that periodically makes communications to the VSL Forum?)

• Thanks for that link! I don't think that's perticular good music... sounds more like my initial ramblings when I started out...

But the mathematical approach is very interetsing.

• Well let's see how William handles positive remarks:

This fellow is astonishingly intelligent and facile in his remarks: I wish I was half as smart.

I can write a good tune now and then at least.

Btw he's also an excellent composer with his own musical language that is romantic and modern at the same time.

• I'll agree with that.

I've seen him 'speak' and heard his music.

Very talented fellow, who has my respect and admiration.

Alex.

• Thanks Dave and Alex - sorry to be sappy but the feeling's mutual.

On that example from Wolfram I think weslldeckers is right. It is an interesting concept, and I agree that music can simply be an interesting pattern, but it doesn't sound all that good. I think I like Wolfy better than Wolfram.

• But do you believe in Wolfram's "Scientific Foundations" concerning his new music:

http://tones.wolfram.com/about/how.html

• Yes, I believe that. It is very interesting and probably brilliant, but I don't do it because I suppose I already have my own automata somewhere inside my brain. Seriously, I'm not trying to be funny or a smart-ass, I can't understand that stuff in relation to music which to put it bluntly I just do without thinking.

• Hello - I started reading this thread a while ago but have not kept up to date with it... [[:|]]

But I just listened to the Wolfram tones site and what was interesting to me about it (in relation to this thread) was this:

Here is a little tool for translating these examples of randomness/mathemtical equations into music form, yet someone along the way couldn't resist constricting the notes to scales and adding some cheesy GM instruments to make it all sound a bit more familiar.

I actually prefered it with the controls at the bottom of the page set to play all 12 notes, with no accompaniment, full range of notes and a simplle celesta, harp or piano.

But it made me think this making things more familiar is exactly what we as human beings do all the time.... we perceive the energy of the universe directly, (as a newborn baby does) yet we have all been brought up to make our perceptions fit a system of interpretation, an inventory of the world. What we commonly call perception is, in fact, just the reflection of our inventory. This is why when we experience new things they are always somehow familiar to us!

As composers (or simply as human beings who seek more than an endlessly familiar inventory) it is a matter of bridging our less socialized sides with our more socialized sides (so we can be inspired and THEN turn our inspiration into something which is comprehendible by all).

Ok so some composers just like to make complex/clever arrangements of utterly familiar themes and there have been great composers of that kind.

But in my view the really great composers are the ones who go the furthest in both directions - the utterly astract and the familiar concrete - and somehow manage to span the distance between leading one into the other, without loosing too much on the way.
    [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@MarkOfTheStoat said:

...But in my view the really great composers are the ones who go the furthest in both directions - the utterly astract and the familiar concrete - and somehow manage to span the distance between leading one into the other, without loosing too much on the way.
    [:D]

Would that make you a fan of Charles Ives then? and presumably John Cage. I'm with you there. [:)]

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Yes, I believe that. It is very interesting and probably brilliant, but I don't do it because I suppose I already have my own automata somewhere inside my brain. Seriously, I'm not trying to be funny or a smart-ass, I can't understand that stuff in relation to music which to put it bluntly I just do without thinking.

Says on the page mentioned:
    "Scientific Foundations
    WolframTones is based on a core discovery of Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science: that in the computational universe even extremely simple rules or programs can give behavior of great complexity."

In what do you believe here? Do you perhaps mean that " simple rules or programs can give behavior of great complexity" is a scientific claim? If so do you also believe that that claim has something to do with basic philosophy of music? I am not convinced, yet, but I listening... LG (PS. read Wolfram's book very soon after its publication)

• Here's an interesting quote from the site:

Each composition in a sense tells in music the story of some system in the computational universe. And because the system follows a definite consistent rule, the compositions inevitably have a certain internal consistency--which is probably what makes them so effective as music.

This is the same principle found in most composition as with Mahler's cells: as long as there is a consistancy it will be percieved on some level by the listener. Recently analyzing Honneger's 3rd I found unconventional movement everywhere by it was consistant in various ways such as intervalic movement. This was his own order of things and worked great.

• This is almost an extrapolation on chaos theory, to use an analagous scientific stance. The randomness so determinedly processed as non-systematic is in fact an ordered sequence. The length of the sequence might be considerable, and in fact lend some perceived weight to the conjecture of random twelve tone output (Schoenberg tried this with more restraint), but the reality is, the argument of randomness is inevitably defeated by the eventual duplication of sequence.
    We often think of musical phrases and variations as a one bar phrase or idea, maybe two bars, maybe even eight bars or 16. But if a phrase is 128 bars, or 2654 bars long, it's still reaches a point of repetition. How many combinations of 12 can you create before hitting the same sequence or set of multi sequences again?
    If by using random as a genre you imply no repetition, then that's actually, factually, mathematically impossible. Even with 38 microtones, or 3,600,000 molecular tones, the repetition must come. so you need something to backup this statement of random. and like so many before, those who postulate random as a genre, or musical 'non-structure' is comparing it to music we view as conventional, however unconventional it may be.
    The fabric and structure of our universe is anything but random, and although the equation might be measured as 'infinite to the power of forever,' because we can't measure any further with current knowledge or method or scientific imagination, infinity and forever are emotional labels we attach to what we perceive as unmeasurable by our understanding. If we measure music as random in the computational restrictions of twelve tones, a scientist or cosmologist whose benchmark is trillions of milies or light years, will still discover form and repitition, because that's the fabric that continuing existence at every level relies on.
    Twelve tone experimentation has a label i guess because humans need to name everything, often for the ego of self recognition and self adulation as much as identification, but i profoundly disagree with the label 'random' because it simply isn't true.
    So, going forward from here, 'random music' as we know it is simply an extra long sequence or phrase, and for me that phrase so often ends up as complete crap, for the boredom of knowing that it will take so long to get to the end, and remain so uninteresting.
    It's repetition and variation of repetition that gives music life, as it relates directly to that 'nebulous combination of regularity' that we associate with heartbeat, breathing, walking, earth going around the sun, milky way revolving in a universe within a cosmos, etc.

Regards,

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

If by using random as a genre you imply no repetition, then that's actually, factually, mathematically impossible. Even with 38 microtones, or 3,600,000 molecular tones, the repetition must come. so you need something to backup this statement of random.

I'm trying to find the post this subject of 'definition of random' refers to (perhaps it is in response to the Wolfram website itself)

But, anyway, I wanted to ask:

Why can't randomness produce repetition?

Surely 'absolutely no repetition' is less random than than 'the random chance of some repetition or perhaps no repetiton'

Surely it's only if the repetition is predetermined that makes it not random.

[[:|]]

• last edited
    last edited

@dpcon said:

Here's an interesting quote from the site:

Each composition in a sense tells in music the story of some system in the computational universe. And because the system follows a definite consistent rule, the compositions inevitably have a certain internal consistency--which is probably what makes them so effective as music.

This is the same principle found in most composition as with Mahler's cells: as long as there is a consistancy it will be percieved on some level by the listener..
    It is not that simple. There is a mapping from a picture to music and there is no guarantee that the consistency will be preserved. Then there are extras: e.g. Wolframtones has 300 scales.. After that feature any science based on cell automates will blow up!

• Nonetheless there are some parameters are there not?

• As an aside concerning randomness, the old cliche of twenty monkeys typing will eventually produce Shakespeare's complete works has recently been determined to be impossible. Because - strictly due to mathematical calculation - to do this would exceed the calculated length of both Hawkins black hole evaporation and proton decay of the entire universe.

• last edited
    last edited

@lgrohn said:

But do you believe in Wolfram's "Scientific Foundations" concerning his new music:

http://tones.wolfram.com/about/how.html

Interesting but not new. As long as there have been mathematicians there have been attempts to create music from a mathematical basis. What Wolfram is describing was done about 20 years ago (maybe earlier) under the title of "fractal music." It sounds just as bad now as it did back then...

The mathematical basis of music has a very long history, at least as far back as Pythagoras.

rgames

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

The mathematical basis of music has a very long history, at least as far back as Pythagoras.
    Totally disagreed. Pythagoras worked only on strings and even then only approximately.