Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,168 users have contributed to 42,280 threads and 255,000 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 62 new user(s).

• And another datapoint, I just tested the VSL CFX for the first time, also does not suffer from the problem.  Definitely specific to the VSL Steinway D.

• last edited
    last edited

Hello everybody!

We have just released a Library Update for the Steinway D, with improved velocity mapping. 

So far, we have received great feedback from our testers, so this one should be quite a big step into the right direction ðŸ˜Š

Thanks for your input, everbody!!

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Apologies for the late reply.  I find this update does dramatically improve the playability at least on my Kawai NV10 in the 'Normal' response mode, while still mantianing some 'lightness' compared to the CFX and Bosendorfer libraries.

It really speaks volumes that you responded so quickly to provide an update, thank you very much.  A lot of companies could learn from this.

I recommend adding a velocity curve editor to these products sometime in the future.  It is physically impossible to have a single parameter account for the wild-west of MIDI controllers out there, all with different mechanical actions. These are simply the best sampled pianos ever, and having the flexibility to tune the velocity curve to the specific action of the controller will let us get the most out of them.

Thanks again.

• Since this thread might be read by people waiting for the issues discussed here to be resolved, I just want to add my endorsement of the new update. No need to wait any longer! The VSL Steinway is the best virtual piano I have found. I am impressed that VSL responded so quickly and so thoroughly. Thanks, Paul!

• The new update is great. I do agree though, a velocity curve editor would be the best addition to Synchron Pianos, & Vienna Imperial Player, that I can currently think of.

• Yes, a velocity editor in the stand-alone player would be useful for many. I play the VSL Steinway in FL Studio, which has a nice velocity editor built in. This DAW also has a nice "piano roll" for recording, which I find useful to check my speed and my accuracy of note time values, for example to be sure eighth notes take half the time of quarter notes, etc. and to stay on tempo.

• From my experimentation, lowing the dymamics to about 77% provides the timbre variation i would expect, based on my own Steinway at home. It was the first thing I noticed about the Synchron Steinway. Interestingly, this doesn't seem to be a problem with the Bosendorfer Imperial. I use a Roland A80 keyboard, and setting midi sensitivity on the synchron player down 10 works well.

• last edited
    last edited

@NormTheExpert said:

From my experimentation, lowing the dymamics to about 77% provides the timbre variation i would expect, based on my own Steinway at home. It was the first thing I noticed about the Synchron Steinway. Interestingly, this doesn't seem to be a problem with the Bosendorfer Imperial. I use a Roland A80 keyboard, and setting midi sensitivity on the synchron player down 10 works well.
    Hi Norman, may I ask you which model Steinway you have at home?

• Just a 2010 Steinway Model A (sadly). 

We went to Steinway Hall (London) and they set out 6 instruments for us.  The one we chose was the clear winner in terms of its most beautiful resonant sound.

In our home (with wooden floor boards and a nice cavity underneath), it sounds beautiful - really bright when played FFF and a gorgeous sound when played ppp.

The only downside is that it has taken about 5 years for the tuning to settle (it went all over the place - even when the tuner was tuning it).

I've already reported a general issue with all the Synchron pianos (or it's a plugin issue) - the key noise control doesn't work.  It has been confirmed that this is a bug.  Looking forwards to this being fixed.